Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Boston Butt

Options
Well as a fairly new member to the community, it is time for me to attempt my first Boston Butt on the LBGE I received from SWMBO for Fathers Day. Gotta love a woman that gives a man a great reason to grill and smoke meat while drinking delicious beverages. The Butt is 8.9 lbs and I will be using my Maverick Smoking thermometer to monitor. 

Smothered in Yellow Mustard and Coated in Dizzy Pig's SWAMP VENOM 

Wrapped up tight in plastic wrap and back in the fridge awaiting Sunday Morning.

Curious to know, if the expert smokers out there place the FAT CAP up or down, and what temp do you suggest I smoke at, everyone seems to have a different opinion although not by many degrees. Would love to hear all thoughts and will follow-up in the morning with Cradle to Grave pics.

Cheers
LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia

Comments

• flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    Welcome to the world of EGG. @chubbs would turbo this, cook indirect dome temp @300 1-2 hours to get the smoke in then wrap in foil and take it to 200-205 internal. This is probably 6-7 hours(guessing). He will hopefully chime in and add useful specifics I have forgotten.
    I love to take this low and slow. 250-275 indirect dome temp for @15 hours to 200-205 internal temp no foil in cook, only to rest in the cooler at the end.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    Options
    I've done both ways and prefer fat down, 225-250 dome, no foil, then FTC
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Options
    Why did you prefer fat side down Mokadir? Thanks for the advice flemster.
  • Aquacop
    Options
    Aquacop said:
    Well as a fairly new member to the community, it is time for me to attempt my first Boston Butt on the LBGE I received from SWMBO for Fathers Day. Gotta love a woman that gives a man a great reason to grill and smoke meat while drinking delicious beverages. The Butt is 8.9 lbs and I will be using my Maverick Smoking thermometer to monitor. 

Smothered in Yellow Mustard and Coated in Dizzy Pig's SWAMP VENOM 

Wrapped up tight in plastic wrap and back in the fridge awaiting Sunday Morning.

Curious to know, if the expert smokers out there place the FAT CAP up or down, and what temp do you suggest I smoke at, everyone seems to have a different opinion although not by many degrees. Would love to hear all thoughts and will follow-up in the morning with Cradle to Grave pics.

Cheers
    Here is another question, when I take it out in the morning, should I allow it to come to room temperature? How long does that usually take, all the assistance is greatly appreciated.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I don't think it really matters about room temp I have heard of guys putting them on when they are only thawed enough to hold the rub. Mine are generally in the 40* range when they hit the grid.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Will NEVER understand people's fascination with mustard. Though it's great on a hot dog.

I remove the butt from the fridge, remove the wrapping, rub generously and throw it in the grid. Never pre rub, DO NOT bring it to room temp. Five minutes, fridge to grid.

Fat cap down, mostly because whatever is on the grid will stick to the grid. I would rather have the fat stick than the meat.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    Are you planning to eat pulled pork that evening? If you are then you will need to use the TURBO method as mentioned above. If you are going to go lo-n-slo all the way through then you will want to get that beast in the egg Saturday night.

When I do my lo-n-slo cooks on pork butt I have had some go 20 hours, but 15 to 18 is more common. My setup is indirect at 250 for the entire cook. Remember that there WILL be a stall, a point where the temp does not change or may drop, for several hours this is needed. The stall is also the part that a TURBO cook powers through due to the higher temp and foiling. 

The lo-n-slo creates incredible bark on the butt and the TURBO gives a softer bark, they both taste great. 

Welcome to the forum and your new addiction, you already got it down that in there are no pics it did not happen. Enjoy!
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I would also recommend fat cap down.  Otherwise, the fat will melt and wash off some of your rub.  

As far as temp- it somewhat depends on what time you want to get up and what time you want to eat ;)   Like @DMurf mentioned you can't do too low n slow unless you pull an overnighter. 

I have had pretty good luck with a "ramp up" method to finish the same day.  Start out 250 dome or so, after a few hours bump it up to 275ish.  Once it hits the stall you can bump it up more and if you need to finish even faster then you can foil it.  The butts will cook faster when foiled because they can't "sweat". 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Aquacop
    Options
    I do not have a covered deck, how do all you eggheads prevent your thermometer sending unit from getting wet in the event of rain while sleeping!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have resorted to an inverted tupperware container before ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Aquacop
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Thanks Smokeypitt
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Options
    Aquacop said:
    I do not have a covered deck, how do all you eggheads prevent your thermometer sending unit from getting wet in the event of rain while sleeping!

I put mine inside a zip lock bag.
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • Aquacop
    Options
    Kosko, thanks I never thought about a zip lock bag, excellent idea! This forum is so helpful.
  • Aquacop
    Options
    So the bottom line is that everyone puts the fat cap down, in my old electric smoker I was told just the opposite, thanks for all the input.