Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatless Mondays??

Options
2»

Comments

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options

Q: How can you tell someone is a vegan?
    A: Don't worry, they'll tell you.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

Q: Are you suggesting someone in my family is a vegan?

A: They aren't.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    From the paella recipe: "The spice [smoked paprika] imparts big, smoky notes, and is especially useful in vegetarian cooking; it adds an almost bacon-like flavor, minus the grease and  . . . bacon."

While smoked paprika does have a smokey flavor I would contend that nothing can replace real bacon  :)  
  • Chubbs
    Options
    onedbguru said:

From the paella recipe: "The spice [smoked paprika] imparts big, smoky notes, and is especially useful in vegetarian cooking; it adds an almost bacon-like flavor, minus the grease and  . . . bacon."

While smoked paprika does have a smokey flavor I would contend that nothing can replace real bacon  :)  
    Bacon is hard to beat for sure

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    My mom is vegan. Yuns just be hatin'.
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Options
    Yea, wife has been vegan before. We keep it quiet in the closet because we aren't the preachy type on food.
  • SaturdayFatterday
    SaturdayFatterday Posts: 468
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I was vegan for six years in my early twenties.  By vegan, I mean really vegan, not just a dietary thing:  no leather, wool, silk, honey, animal-tested products, etc.  While I am glad I have been back on the meat train for quite some time now, I will say I was - other than smoking, which was an unrelated habit I quit about two years ago - just about the healthiest I've been in my life when I lived that lifestyle.  I can bench and curl more now (I attribute that to daddy strength), but I could run faster, run for longer, and do more pushups and pullups back then.  However, it was not all diet:  I was also young and incredibly active (hiking, camping, rock climbing, paddling, etc.).  Now I'm an older, beer-swilling, mostly sedentary dude (and about fifty pounds heavier), so I'm not blaming meat, per se.

When I lived that lifestyle, I never preached at meat-eaters, because:  duh, meat is delicious, or no one would eat it.  It's also the cultural norm to eat meat, so it's absolutely moronic to lecture people about it.  It's also moronic to act superior to other people because of what you do or do not shove in your food-hole, so I didn't do that, either.  I dated several girls who ate meat, and I had no problem cooking meat for them if that's what they wanted (until I met my wife, I was always the better cook in all of my relationships). I also worked in kitchens and cooked meat as my job.  Never had a problem with any of it - it was always a very personal decision to me.

I definitely made fun of vegetarians for being half-assers, though.

In between wrapping pig around pig and then wrapping that with pig, I still try to eat several vegetarian meals a week.  I think it's a good thing, both fiscally and healthwise.  I also think that vegetables are more versatile and challenging than meat, in terms of getting creative with your cooking, so making a few meals a week a veggie-only affair - or even just doing a "Meatless Monday" - can really do wonders for your repertoire.  When I was vegan, I needed to learn to cook new cuisines out of necessity, and it was a gateway to my love of Asian and Indian subcontinental cuisines.

Just saying, it's easier to make fun of something than to try a little of it.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I say acquiesce to "Meatless Monday" with a resounding yes! Then suggest to her that perhaps we should also participate in "Tequilla Tuesday", "Weed Wednesday", "Thirsty Thursday (dealer's choice), and "Freaky Friday in the bedroom". Win/win in my book.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    Forget my long-ass story above.  Go with what Cen-Tex said.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • Chubbs
    Options

I say acquiesce to "Meatless Monday" with a resounding yes! Then suggest to her that perhaps we should also participate in "Tequilla Tuesday", "Weed Wednesday", "Thirsty Thursday (dealer's choice), and "Freaky Friday in the bedroom". Win/win in my book.

My man
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Now there is a GREAT idea.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!