Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keep or Pitch? FIre went out overnight

Options

F me..  threw a shoulder on last night and at about 11:30PM it was stabilized at about 250 grid level and the shoulder was about 70 or less degrees.  I wake up this morning and dome level is 158 and shoulder is 158.  I got it started back up but am wondering whether to pitch or keep?  it's for a party today.

thoughts?

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    It's fine. That's a safe temp - if it didn't dump below 140 you are good to go. Cook on. Good save.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    +1

Don't give it another thought...you were above the danger zone.  Technically you were still cooking, just very slowly.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nealcr1
    nealcr1 Posts: 198
    Options
    Keep it. I had the same thing happen to me and all was good.
    Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    keep on keeping on.  Have had the same thing happen
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    Options
    As everyone is saying, this is not an issue at all.  At 158, you will be fine.  

Go open a beer and welcome the day.
    Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

• XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options

thanks for the input.. ended up dropping to 152-154ish before I got it back up and running and then it stalled for a bit.. 170 and rising now.

thanks- I couldn't remember what tem the danger zone really was

• XLBalco
    Options

so bark looks great and shoulder is approaching 200 already... not eating til 4ish and was hoping to plan this out to finish around noon and foil/towel/cooler it for a few hours.. I guess I start that process shortly..  maybe I will shred after 4 hours or so.. I don't think it will hold in a cooler for 6 hours

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Smallest cooler you can fit it into or pack as many towels and blankets as you can and you will be fine.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    XLBalco said:

so bark looks great and shoulder is approaching 200 already... not eating til 4ish and was hoping to plan this out to finish around noon and foil/towel/cooler it for a few hours.. I guess I start that process shortly..  maybe I will shred after 4 hours or so.. I don't think it will hold in a cooler for 6 hours

it will hold for 6 hours and even more if you need it. You are golden. Lots of towels. It will still be piping hot in 6 hrs.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Could not help but think of Top Gun...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Crispy
    Crispy Posts: 12
    Options
    Had the same thing happen to me, and left in cooler for 6 hours. meat was still too hot to handle bare handed and i didnt pull until 15 minutes before it was time to serve.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    It was still 158,nothing wrong with it.  If anything you have a super slow cook.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• XLBalco
    Options

thanks for the advice... yea it definitely stayed hot in the cooler for 6 hours or so and was still hot enough that I couldn't handle the meat closest to the bone...  only slight issue I would say is the part of the char did dry out some... the meat was still moist though and wasn't any left at the end of the day!