Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Dome Thermometer Crash?

So I was egging tonight, getting her fired up, getting ready to cook some beef kabobs with chimichurri sauce (BGE cookbook - fantastic). I was waiting for the dome to come up to 450. It got to 400, and suddenly as I was sitting there watching it, the bottom fell out of the temperature. Needle quickly fell back to zero. Anyone else ever have this happen?
If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

Durham, NC

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 11,175
    Most likely the bi-metallic coil in the thermometer broke.  Fairly common in bi-metallic (almost all mechanical) thermometers.  If that's the case, it's ruined.   86 it and buy another.

• JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 1,254
    Most likely the bi-metallic coil in the thermometer broke.  Fairly common in bi-metallic (almost all mechanical) thermometers.  If that's the case, it's ruined.   86 it and buy another.
    Oh I'm pretty sure it's done, no question. Is there something better I could replace it with? Not saying this will happen again, but if I need to buy a new one....
    If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

Durham, NC
    It was probably defective, or you wrapped it around one too many times.  How old is it?  There's some kind of warranty, maybe you can get a replacement under it.

• SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 5,724
    Check it out to see if it was the BGE version or a Tel-Tru. Most eggs sold over the past couple of years have Tel-Trus, which were the common replacement when the BGE thermo quit. Some have had a Tel-Tru for years with no issues, others it quits in a year or two. Like Nola says, garbage and get a new one. 
    I suggest if you do clean burns, take it out. The bi-metalic in my Broil King gasser is over 12 years old, it is a Tel-Tru (or so it says) and is still working fine. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 1,254
    Definitely a Tel Tru. My Egg is less than a year old.

Durham, NC
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 5,724
    Less than a year, it is under warranty, I think.....
    Ask your dealer. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    Using skiddy's link, you have one year, according to that warranty. 

"5. TEMPERATURE GAUGE AND GASKET: Gaskets and the Temperature Gauge carry a Limited One (1) Year Warranty to the original purchaser."

• qprhooliganqprhooligan Posts: 116
    I had one fail like your thermometer did. Mine was over a year old so I bought a replacement from Tel Tru for around $25.
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,436
    @nola, is there really no other alternative? A digital one which can handle the heat? There ought to be one in the industrial world, surely.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

Aviator said:
    @nola, is there really no other alternative? A digital one which can handle the heat? There ought to be one in the industrial world, surely.
    Just about every kiln and oven made now days has a digital thermostat.  Look at Thermoworks web site - they make probes that are rated well over 1000 F.  You can certainly put a thermocouple in the dome thermo hole and use a digital thermometer.