Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 hr pork butt ---- who wants to try this??

Options
Tim M
Tim M Posts: 2,410
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I ran across this reply on another forum. I have removed a few words to protect the innocent (heard that on TV). Here is the company reply:[p][p]""I cook pork butts which are about 5 lbs. It takes about 2 to 2.5 hrs. while cooking with indirect heat at about 325 degrees. I
cook them to an internal temperature of 160 degrees with a polder. If you like to cook low such as 225 degrees or close to it, since you have the polder let it tell you when the food is done. After the first
time you would have an idea about cooking time. I donot believe you need to stay up nights to cook your food in the xxxxxx xxxxx. At the temperature you are cooking I would say it should take you from 4 to 5 hours. If you like to still cook longer. I would cut down the temperature further after I reach about 130 degrees internal temperature by cutting down on both the dampers (almost closed).""[p][p]This comes from the company. A 5 lb pork butt in 2 hrs -- yum, bet you can't beat it apart with a club. Maybe theirs has a built in microwave too.[p]Tim [p]

Comments

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    Tim M,[p] Sounds like interesting advice. Can't imagine it being pullable. Just goes to show that this forum is the best place for advice on these matters. Also of note: the guy that has two large BGEs he's trying to get rid of (maybe he'll give them to me!), and the broken firebox post.[p]MikeO
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Tim M,
    Have you noticed that the people that post those remarks including the one that says he wants to trade 2 EGGS for a Grilldumb, never give their e-mail addresses. They hide like thieves in the night.

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Tim M,[p]I'd seen this before on that other forum. I think they call it tractor pulled pork. I gotta get me one of those xxxxx xxx cookers. Bet I could do a turkey with it in half an hour.[p]K~G

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Tim M,[p]I just don't see it happening! If so, "I WANT TO SEE THAT". Isn't there a TV show call "HOW DO THEY DO THAT?".[p]Anyway, if I'm not mistaken, that how you get trickanosis or yellow fever or something nasty like that![p]Smokey

• Unknown
    Options
    KennyG,
    Kenny, I read a post on the bbq forum where you were
    talking about how great the egg was because it cooked food in half the time as the other cookers, and you did this
    really increduble brisket in less than 5 hours. Im just
    saying, live and learn.... :-) [p]P.S. I think you had only had you egg three months at the time. And I bet the brisket was good.[p]Dylan

• KennyG
    Options
    Q.N.E. tyme,[p]Damn, I had hoped that nobody noticed that post! I just can't get away with anything. That is a true story BTW, My new Egg arrived with a grossly miscalibrated thermometer. It was reading over 100* low. This would make a 5 hour brisket a possibility, right? It was mighty tasty. I chewed on it for a week hehehe[p]K~G

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Q.N.E. tyme, thats no fair, thats when we were all back there posing as Yankee House Painters..and then we learned how to make BBQ..Southern Style...:-) Ain't it fun?? We did try that experiment with 5 hour pulled pork, and it was good, but it wasn't Q'N'E tyme quality pulled pork. Sic em db, now's yer chance..:-)
    C~W
    BTW..ya got style Dylan.....love it![p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    KennyG, just when I thought I had ya covered ya went and fessed up to the truth..Dang..
    C~W[p]

• KennyG
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]To set the record straight and get all the truth out...I remember that post distinctly. I said that I did a "killer" brisket in only 5 hours. My dog damn near died.[p]
    K~G

• Char-Woody
    Options
    KennyG, Ya should try my mother-in-laws pounded shoe leather steaks. I dang near died from lockjaw!! :-)

• Tim M
    Options
    JJ,
    Yes, I sure have noticed. John, from XXXXX XXXX sent me an email referencing something on Yahoo news about cooking to a min of 160 deg. Well, dugh, you go past the "safe" temp all the way to 200 deg. I guess if its dead at 160 its really dead at 200. I am not sure why he sent that article to me though. I don't think he knows what PP is - He may be thinking roast pork.[p]I'll tell you one thing - it has added 75% of the posts there in the last week - all 8 of them.[p]Tim

• Unknown
    Options
    Tim M,
    It appears the original question was "how to cook a pork butt NOT a Pulled Pork. You seem to have this habit of reading only what you want to read. Get a life!

• Tim M
    Options
    The Reader,
    Hi John - from Grill D --- you sent me the same dumb email.[p]Do you know what pulled pork is?? Do you cook at GD or just answer the email? What do you do with a butt but make pulled pork or sliced or shreaded pork? [p]Tim