Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Hey guys, some advice on my chuck roast...

I have never done a chuck roast before. I have two 2.5 pounders I want to do for tomorrow night. My plan is to dry rub and place in the egg at 500-600 degrees to sear the sides before bringing the temp down to 225D along with some hickory and apple chips over a drip pan. I have it set up for indirect heat  and plan on spritzing a few times along the way as well. My big question is do I have to foil it at 165? I really like the bark, and do not want to lose it by foiling it. However I want to do it right foil or no without drying it out so it can done at 205 for pulling. Direct me please.

• Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 5,426
    edited July 2013
    I have always foiled at 160 and have pulled anywhere from 205-215 and it always turns out crazy moist. From my experience a 1hr plus rest period is very beneficial for beef. I am interested to see how a chuckie reacts with no foil.

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • firebikefirebike Posts: 34
    I have two, was thinking to do one with foil and one without and see what happens. 
  • rholtrholt Posts: 375
    Save them both by foiling. You won't regret it.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 17,195
    It's a compromise.  To me, the quality of the meat is most important.  I'd rather have a moist bark and juicy meat than crunchy bark and dry meat.  So dial it in where you want, and you can get both.  Chuck is less forgiving than butt, so I'd first find one that has a lot of connective tissue and fat if you want the best of both worlds.
    This is my signature line just so you're not confused.
    Large and Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr., smoker with a 5k btu AC, gas grill, fire pit, pack of angry cats, two turntables and a microphone, my friend.
    New Orleans, LA - we know how to eat 

• DeviledeggerDeviledegger Posts: 239
    Maybe this is a dumb ? But could you go ahead with cooking and foiling and then reverse sear it at the end to give it some bark? Seems it might work.
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 5,426
    These are the best ones I have done yet. I cooked them as I described above with a few chunks (this should be @CenTex approved) oak

image.jpg 2.2M
    image.jpg 2.2M

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DeckhandDeckhand Posts: 318
    I'd sear at the end... MUCH easier to the Egg than to cool it!
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 7,634

What follows is a link to pulled beef using chuck roasts-I change it up and don't go into the sauce process but the basic beef cook is eggcellent.  YMMV- 

Louisville   L & S BGEs 
  • Grind it up for burgers!  But seriously, the cook looks great
    Simi Valley, California