Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cooking ribs for the first time tomorrow...advice

I've got 2 baby-backs and 1 set of beef ribs. I wanted to do 1 wet and 1 dry for the baby-backs and dry for the beef. 

Any recipe or technique advice? temp recommendations?  I was gonna smoke them for a few hours, wrap them in foil, and finish them off. I was interested in doing a honey BBQ type sauce for the wet baby-backs

Also, will baby-backs and beef ribs take app. the same amount of time to cook?

Any tips and/or links are much appreciated and thanks in advance!

Comments

• SickEyeDiaz
    SickEyeDiaz Posts: 162
    BTW it's not the first time I've cooked ribs, just on the BGE!!!
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

What's worked well for me the last few cooks has been the 2-1-2 method, or two hours uncovered with rub, one hour foiled while adding a little apple juice, then two more hours uncovered adding a little sauce the last hour or so.  Usually do them in the 230-250 range and have turned out great every time.  Although I will say that doing them just a straight five hours or so with no foil will work great too. 

Haven't done beef ribs yet so can't be of much help.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    This is how I do spares and BB. Single bite thru tender, moist and so far not a single complaint from people who do not have to live with me..LOL

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1142935/did-some-spares-tonight#latest
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    325 for 1.5 hours unwrapped, 1 hour foiled with apple juice, honey and butter, then 30 to 45 minutes to bake on your favorite BBQ sauce. Works like a champ
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    300-325 indirect no foil bout 3-4 hrs or until the bend test says DONE.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • cmkratt
    cmkratt Posts: 54
    I did some like Dave in FL on July 4th, and they were fantastic. Have also done Car Wash Mike's method with great success. Just depends if you have time to go low and slow or need to go hot and fast.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited July 2013
    Doesn't really matter how you cook them...key is good meat and pulling when it's done - not pulling prematurely and not letting it cook longer than necessary.   Search for "rib toothpick bend test" and you'll find some good information. 

Temperature is a worthless indicator for ribs. 

Time and dome is a good guideline for when you need to start checking for doneness. 

The other techniques, like foiling, wet saucing, dry rubs, etc. impact the surface texture.  You don't want to over cook so they're mushy and falling apart.  Undercooking will result in a "dry" tough meat.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• SickEyeDiaz
    SickEyeDiaz Posts: 162

I wanted to see what Chex-mix tasted like with a little bit of smoke flavor, So that's what I did. I made one batch with mesquite and one with hickory. The mesquite left a very noticeable and bold flavor.

Ribs were good but I left them on too long because we had some unexpected company, which took my concentration away from the ribs for a little too long!

I gotta say...I'm surprised that beef ribs aren't more popular than they are. Both times I've made them, they taste absolutely egg-cellent! (dumb-ass joke, I know) They need very little seasoning and have an awesome flavor.