Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Dome Thermometer Crash?

So I was egging tonight, getting her fired up, getting ready to cook some beef kabobs with chimichurri sauce (BGE cookbook - fantastic). I was waiting for the dome to come up to 450. It got to 400, and suddenly as I was sitting there watching it, the bottom fell out of the temperature. Needle quickly fell back to zero. Anyone else ever have this happen?
Nulla tenaci invia est via

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 9,002
    Most likely the bi-metallic coil in the thermometer broke.  Fairly common in bi-metallic (almost all mechanical) thermometers.  If that's the case, it's ruined.   86 it and buy another.

• JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 1,015
    Most likely the bi-metallic coil in the thermometer broke.  Fairly common in bi-metallic (almost all mechanical) thermometers.  If that's the case, it's ruined.   86 it and buy another.
    Oh I'm pretty sure it's done, no question. Is there something better I could replace it with? Not saying this will happen again, but if I need to buy a new one....
    It was probably defective, or you wrapped it around one too many times.  How old is it?  There's some kind of warranty, maybe you can get a replacement under it.

• SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 4,841
    Check it out to see if it was the BGE version or a Tel-Tru. Most eggs sold over the past couple of years have Tel-Trus, which were the common replacement when the BGE thermo quit. Some have had a Tel-Tru for years with no issues, others it quits in a year or two. Like Nola says, garbage and get a new one. 
    I suggest if you do clean burns, take it out. The bi-metalic in my Broil King gasser is over 12 years old, it is a Tel-Tru (or so it says) and is still working fine. 
    Delta B.C., Canuckistan - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 1,015
    Definitely a Tel Tru. My Egg is less than a year old.
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 4,841
    Less than a year, it is under warranty, I think.....
    Ask your dealer. 
    Delta B.C., Canuckistan - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    Using skiddy's link, you have one year, according to that warranty. 

"5. TEMPERATURE GAUGE AND GASKET: Gaskets and the Temperature Gauge carry a Limited One (1) Year Warranty to the original purchaser."

• I had one fail like your thermometer did. Mine was over a year old so I bought a replacement from Tel Tru for around $25.
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,404
    @nola, is there really no other alternative? A digital one which can handle the heat? There ought to be one in the industrial world, surely.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

Aviator said:
    @nola, is there really no other alternative? A digital one which can handle the heat? There ought to be one in the industrial world, surely.
    Just about every kiln and oven made now days has a digital thermostat.  Look at Thermoworks web site - they make probes that are rated well over 1000 F.  You can certainly put a thermocouple in the dome thermo hole and use a digital thermometer.