Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fajitas

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
Wanting to copy a carne asada type fajita mix... Flat iron steak. Will only be able to marinade a few hours. Store bought would be better.

Thanks
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options

Not sure what you are asking for or stating, but this works very well.  Couple hours marinade no problem.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1043433&catid=1

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    If you want store bought use Stubbs beef marinade. It's great.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    Options
    This is a super simple one that I always use, its meant for a maximum marinade time of 6 hours due to the acidy in it.  It really penetrates the meat and gives a great mexican taste to the steak..

1 cup of soy sauce
    2 limes juice
    2 tbs cumin
    2 tbs oregano
    1/2 cup mirin
    Mix in a bowl and pour on meat.

If you can used mexican oregano then your will be spot on with this marinade.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Mud Pig said:
    This is a super simple one that I always use, its meant for a maximum marinade time of 6 hours due to the acidy in it.  It really penetrates the meat and gives a great mexican taste to the steak..

1 cup of soy sauce
    2 limes juice
    2 tbs cumin
    2 tbs oregano
    1/2 cup mirin
    Mix in a bowl and pour on meat.

If you can used mexican oregano then your will be spot on with this marinade.
    That sounds really good.  I would add lots of chopped cilantro, but I am a cilantro fiend. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    Options
    I'm going with Centex on this one... I'm lazy
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    You have your plan.. sounds good too, I can't help but chime in on Fajitas :)  This is my favorite grill, and I eat way too much when I do it.

My in-laws are mexican, and one of their classic norteno marinade for skirt steak is..

Lime/Salt/Onion. 

Take each slab, make roughly 4x6 inch lengths out of them.. in a bowl stack each layered with a thin onion slice in between.. generous lime and little salt each piece.  Sit for an hour.  When grilling, leave the onions on top, move around as cooking/flipping.  The onions are almost better than the meat once done.

We do direct grilled beef ribs (grill individual finger ribs) this way and they have a great steak flavor, different from low and slow.

A great and easy farging thing you can do for your fajitas - caveman style on an full onion.  Take a medium onion, clean up the outside layers, chop off the top 1/2 inch, splice it in 4's, but not down to the root.  wrap in foil with some butter and salt.  Put it directly on the coals while you cook.  Should be first thing on and last thing off.  You cannot overcook this, but you can undercook.  The burnt outside layers are awesome flavor, squeeze of lime and they are great on fajitas!!!

I know what I want to cook tonight!

Pico de Gallo, simpler is better, people over do the onion,  enough said.

Guacamole, just salt and avocado, simpler is better.

Best salsa for this - Cascabel based.  Smokey, delicious.  

omg.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • henapple
    Options
    I've done onions like that and I drizzle hit sauce over it also.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    My Puerto Rican-born friend informed me of a great go-to marinade awhile back for Carne Asada.  He said it's more of a Mexican marinade, but that his family still uses it all the time.  I've used it several times with great results.  Very simple too -- EVOO, White Vinegar, Fresh Garlic and Adobo Seasoning.  I've used it on chicken breasts, turkey breasts, skirt steak and flat iron steak.  Good stuff.  :)
  • henapple
    Options
    Meal is done. Stubbs meat marinade was great... Yeah Centex.... Cooked on ci griddle
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    henapple said:
    Meal is done. Stubbs meat marinade was great... Yeah Centex.... Cooked on ci griddle
    I don't do much out of a bottle....oh wait.....I don't do many marinades out of a bottle, but that one is as good as any. I think @griffin might have actually turned me on to the Stubbs marinades last year or so.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    @henapple, you are on a CI kick. !!!

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    henapple said:
    I don't do much out of a bottle....oh wait.....I don't do many marinades out of a bottle, but that one is as good as any. I think @griffin might have actually turned me on to the Stubbs marinades last year or so.

CT:  It kind of depends what who you are trying to marinate LOL

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa