Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Boston Butt question....

Cooking two butts at 250 dome temp do I still plan on 2hrs per lb or do I factor in longer? ..and any suggestions on what to inject it with? Was thinking just simple vinegar based BBQ sauce......thanks
Charlotte, nc

Comments

• Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 6,904
    1.5-2 hrs per pound. Weight of ONE butt. The other one's just along for the ride. Can't help with injections. Never did it.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
  • six_eggsix_egg Posts: 594

+1   1.5-2 hrs per pound. Weight of ONE butt. The other one's just along for the ride.

I have injected once before but I never really saw the benefit myself. After the one and only injection I never did it again. IMO I see no need to inject a butt. On another note I love the turbo method. I do not cook mine any other way. 

XLBGE, LBGE growing accessories.

Want: Ceramicgrillworks 2 tier large, Dutch oven, Cyber Q Wifi

Grenada, MS

• JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 1,877
    edited July 2013
    I put two 7.5 boneless Butts on this morning at 6:15 est, temp has been holding at 260 now at 1:15 the Butt temp just hit IT 170 I figure 3 more hours should get me to 200. I have never injected a Butt either.

Large BGE 2006, Small BGE 2014, Adjustable Rig R&B, PSWoo3, Thermapen.
    Weber Gasser for the Wife. 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia
  • NC-CDNNC-CDN Posts: 703
    I do them at the same temp and time. They'll be done when done. Pretty much the same time as 1. I don't inject either so no help there.
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,043
    I don't inject but do a search as there was a recent thread on that topic.  WRT the two butt cook-as you get close to "finished", monitor both as they can finish an hour or more apart.  Best finish indicator I use with butts is when the bone is ready to pull clean.  Use the foil, towel, cooler (FTC) to hold if finished early.  Enjoy the journey!
    Louisville
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 11,176
    I injected a once, but there's really no need if you're pulling it.  The meat is pulled apart and you can add anything you want to it at that point.

• EggRacerEggRacer Posts: 400
    edited July 2013
    I cook to internal temperature (198 to 200). Time varies by size of butt and temp at the grid. For me it's usually 16 hours on a 5 to 6 pounder. Never injected one and don't plan to. They come out great with smoke and a rub.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX