Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt question....

Cooking two butts at 250 dome temp do I still plan on 2hrs per lb or do I factor in longer? ..and any suggestions on what to inject it with? Was thinking just simple vinegar based BBQ sauce......thanks
Charlotte, nc

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    1.5-2 hrs per pound. Weight of ONE butt. The other one's just along for the ride. Can't help with injections. Never did it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110

+1   1.5-2 hrs per pound. Weight of ONE butt. The other one's just along for the ride.

I have injected once before but I never really saw the benefit myself. After the one and only injection I never did it again. IMO I see no need to inject a butt. On another note I love the turbo method. I do not cook mine any other way. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited July 2013
    I put two 7.5 boneless Butts on this morning at 6:15 est, temp has been holding at 260 now at 1:15 the Butt temp just hit IT 170 I figure 3 more hours should get me to 200. I have never injected a Butt either.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    I do them at the same temp and time. They'll be done when done. Pretty much the same time as 1. I don't inject either so no help there.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    I don't inject but do a search as there was a recent thread on that topic.  WRT the two butt cook-as you get close to "finished", monitor both as they can finish an hour or more apart.  Best finish indicator I use with butts is when the bone is ready to pull clean.  Use the foil, towel, cooler (FTC) to hold if finished early.  Enjoy the journey!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I injected a once, but there's really no need if you're pulling it.  The meat is pulled apart and you can add anything you want to it at that point.
    edited July 2013
    I cook to internal temperature (198 to 200). Time varies by size of butt and temp at the grid. For me it's usually 16 hours on a 5 to 6 pounder. Never injected one and don't plan to. They come out great with smoke and a rub.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX