Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Pork Loin - Delicious! (with Pics and Temps)

JLGougeon
JLGougeon Posts: 16
I tried my first whole pork loin, 4.3 lbs., and it was a big winner with the family.  Brought the Egg up to 350 with a raised rack.  Once the loin reached room temperature I covered it with a 50/50 mix of canola and olive oils.  Then I generously seasoned it with Bad Byron's Butt Rub.  It went on the Egg, direct but elevated, for 45 minutes.  At 45 minutes I "made the turn" and flipped it, also tossing some cherrywood chips on the coals.  It went another 35 minutes until it reached an internal temp of 162.  I would have pulled it earlier but SWMBO doesn't like any pink in her pork!  Let it rest for 15-20 minutes (while the corn on the cob cooked) and served it up.  I never knew pork loin could be so moist and tasty!imageimageimage
Cheers!
John
XLBGE and Weber Silver "C"

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Nice looking cook, congrats.
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    That looks GREAT! is that a raised rack, I thought raised rack meant above the felt. I'm new to all of this... Looks yummy!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    I consider raised rack anything above the fire ring, usually at or above the felt. In this case this does not appear to be raised. @JLGougeon, how was this raised/elevated?

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Rotate your photos before posting.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • JLGougeon
    JLGougeon Posts: 16
    For clarification: I took the first pic on the lower rack.  I realized it was WAY TOO CLOSE to the coals and raised it immediately after.  I use two brick pavers set on their sides with a cast iron grill piece from my Weber Silver C balanced on top for my raised grill.  It works great and it didn't require any real work to assemble!
    Cheers!
    John
    XLBGE and Weber Silver "C"
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Nice Job Johnny, that looks fantastic.

Johns Creek, Georgia