Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Tri-Tip

R2Egg2Q
R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been cooking a lot of tri-tip lately but my mother-in-law liked one I recently cooked so much I decided to cook another for her last night.

I found a nice looking little tri-tip at about 1.7 lbs and decided it looked small enough to try to fit into the Mini Egg.

So I got the Mini set up on the cart:
IMG_8732.jpg
IMG_8740.jpg

Hmmm, seems like it has room to grow... :laugh:

The tri-tip was about 11" long and the Mini grate is only 9.5" in diameter so it needed a little assistance to get it to fit:
IMG_8746.jpg

I wanted to cook indirect and don't have a mini Woo so I just threw on a 9" pie pan and a little grate and placed the tri-tip on top & cooked it at about 350 until internal temp hit 120ish.

I removed the tri-tip & pie pan and opened up the Mini. I was surprised that in a little more than 5 minutes it was quite hot!
IMG_8754.jpg

Yes, quite hot:
IMG_8755.jpg

Gave it a quick sear on both sides and the edge:
IMG_8757.jpg
IMG_8759.jpg

Pulled it off & checked the temp a couple minutes later:
IMG_8760.jpg

It probably raised a little more during the rest to around 135.

I didn't get the best shot of it sliced as we were in a hurry to eat:
IMG_8762.jpg

It was my 2nd cook on the Mini and a fun one! The tri-tip was juicy & full of flavor but most importantly my MIL loved it!

Thanks for looking!
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• CrazyHarry
    CrazyHarry Posts: 112
    ...but most importantly my MIL loved it!

You say that like it's a GOOD thing. :evil:
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    very nice.

I love Tri Tip
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Nothing like keeping the MIL happy and it look like you did a fine job of it. Tell us more about the table, can't quite tell if it's a small table sitting on something or it is larger then it looks.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Very Nice Cook looks great! I know its early and I havnt eatin breakfast but that looks like it would be wonderful with some eggs, maybe even folded into a tortilla with eggs, n cheese, n peppers..May have to try that...Matt
    www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com
  • R2Egg2Q
    The table is a Solé Kamado Crate and designed to fit a Large BGE or Kamado.

I have an Imperial Kamado that I'm slowly restoring :unsure: that will likely be sitting on the Crate some day. I hadn't intended to buy a cart before finishing the restoration project but I saw this one on an online auction and got it cheap.

Maybe I should just do a bad job restoring it in the hopes that my wife will say "just get a Large Egg". :laugh:
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q
    I haven't had breakfast either and your suggestion sounds like a tasty tri-tip breakfast burrito! Yum!

Now if I hadn't given the leftovers to my in-laws, I'd be making one now. :ohmy:

Bay Area, CA
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Very nice!! hard to find tri-around, that looks very good!!
  • Powderhound
    Powderhound Posts: 139
    Trying the same this weekend. How long did it take at indirect at 350F ? Looks great!
    Large, Medium, Mini, and Mini Max, a few too many accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter, powdery snow, and lots of golf.  
  • Socalcajudo
    Socalcajudo Posts: 132
    Tri tip reversed sear is so good. One of my favorites. Looks so good. Nice table too. Have you heard of Susie Q Santa Maria style seasoning? That is some good stuff for tri tip.
  • R2Egg2Q
    Trying the same this weekend. How long did it take at indirect at 350F ? Looks great!

Ah, this was a long time ago and my memory stinks. I would guess about 25-30 minutes. I posted more info in your thread here: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1154489/tri-tip-on-the-mini
    Tri tip reversed sear is so good. One of my favorites. Looks so good. Nice table too. Have you heard of Susie Q Santa Maria style seasoning? That is some good stuff for tri tip.

Yes, I'm familiar with Susie Q, a Santa Maria favorite. I have some in my pantry. Good stuff at a great price.

Bay Area, CA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    :-bd Good job! Need to find me another tri-tip.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    That is a really great looking tri tip. Congrats. I sort of thought small was a much better option than mini, but I've seen some amazing stuff come off that little guy.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    For another very good tri-tip rub, go to www.eggsbythebay, and click on the Santa Maria Tri-tip button.  It's a wonderful rub recipe.  I've been using it for a couple of years.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Wow, looks outstanding!  Great pix too!  I gotta try that using a pie pan.  I don't have a mini woo yet either.