Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

New Egg owner

HNLHNL Posts: 31
Hi Eggheads

I just took the plunge, ordered a large with nest, shelves and plate setter that I'm picking up soon at an Eggfest. This forum has been great and has me excited about getting started.

Question...is it safe to use the egg on my wooden deck (using the nest of course)? Or should I store it in the garage and use it on the driveway?

Any other rookie tips?

Comments

• tactical_66tactical_66 Posts: 197
    I use my egg on my deck with no problems. I have cement pavers under the egg.
  • HwkfanHwkfan Posts: 8
    I have a large in a nest on a deck with no problems.
  • CANMAN1976CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,563
    Mine is on wooden deck to, just be sure to use the screen on the bottom vent.

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,671
    Welcome...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • HNLHNL Posts: 31
    Mine is on wooden deck to, just be sure to use the screen on the bottom vent.

Does it come with a screen or do you have to buy one?
  • twlangantwlangan Posts: 294
    Lots of Eggs sitting in wooden tables. Yours sitting on a deck is no different. Go for it.
  • Que_n_BrewQue_n_Brew Posts: 577
    The screen comes with. Welcome
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Randy1Randy1 Posts: 373
    Welcome! Wooden deck is my vote...I have done it both ways. In addition,I use a flame retardant mat.
    Benton,Arkansas
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,546
    Welcome! Like Randy said, you'll be cool with a mat.
  • Welcome!
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    Welcome aboard.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• WalrusBBQWalrusBBQ Posts: 151
    Congratulations! I use my LBGE in a wooden table on a wooden deck with no problems, enjoy!
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 15,371
    Welcome to the forum!  It's safe to use on a wood deck.  Make sure the screen on the lower vent is always closed.   I use mine under a lean-to roof.  No problems other than all the grease on the deck.   I don't have a problem sleeping when it's doing an over-night low n slow. 

• Welcome!  +1 to having an LBGE in a nest on a flame-retardant mat on a wooden deck.  Happy Egging!

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • bettysnephewbettysnephew Posts: 996
    Definitely use the screen, I found a very small burnt spot on my wooden deck from a coal that had fallen through a hole in the cast iron plate at the bottom of the fire box.  This was on one of my first low/slow cooks and I didn't close the screen as I just hadn't considered this to happen.  No damage to speak of but a WAKE UP! call for sure.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Welcome to the jungle.  As others have stated, got mine in a wooden table on my wooden deck.  I don't have any issues.  Another tip is I'll usually double check to make sure it's all shut down after using.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• NC-CDNNC-CDN Posts: 703
    I have a trex deck and use a grilling mat under mine. I don't have a screen on my bottom vent sadly. I need one. I also use blocks under the egg and at the exit of the lower vent so that anything that falls out catches there before and hoping not falling and and hitting the deck. Be safe. Things can and do happen. Take precautions and use common sense.