Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackened Chicken Salad (Mini BGE Cook)

Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024

I used the Mini BGE for the second time tonight.  I was going to use it last night for pork chops, but we had one heck of a lightening storm here in Columbia, SC.  Tonight, we finally had a clear evening with no rain or lightening.  It has been weeks since we've had a day without rain or lightening.  I'm fine grilling in the rain, but it's sort of ridiculous (and not so smart :) ) grilling during a lightening storm.  Especially under a metal grilling gazebo like the one I have.  :) 

For tonight's cook, my wife prepared her usual blackened chicken rub.  We also have a bunch of red and yellow grape tomatoes coming from our garden this year along with a large amount of cucumbers, squash, zucchini and fresh herbs.  We used some of the yellow and red grape tomatoes tonight along with a cucumber for our Blackened Chicken Salad. 

Used the same pre-lit coals that I used last week for the steak I grilled up.  I had the mini going at around a 550-600 deg f dome temp for about 1.5 hours last week, and I only utilized around 1 or 2 coals at the most.  This little joker is really, really efficient on fuel!!!  I used only the leftover coals from the steak cook tonight, and I still have plenty of leftover coals for a third grilling session.  :)  Here is tonight's salad....sometimes the simpler cooks are the better ones.  Especially when using home-grown veggies.  :)

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Nice man. Isn't the mini fun?? Got my lit now for two ribeyes. fYI I made a homemade indirect setup with my old large charcoal grate before I got the woo with some. Wrapped the large charcoal grate with foil. Then punched some of the holes through. Worked like a charm for a few weeks for me. Enough air flow through the few holes punched out but blocked it from completely direct heat without the grate being raised. Woo really helps a ton!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Dyal_SC
    Good to know! Thx! I have a new warrantied charcoal grate that I have yet to put in my large. The large's old cracked charcoal grate is still in there. I may take that one out and foil it up for the mini like you recommend...And place the new one in the large. I have one more week until I can order eggcessories for the mini.....that's payday. :) SWMBO has put me on lockdown until then. LOL. The mini woo will be my first purchase.
  • Elmer Fudd
    Elmer Fudd Posts: 65
    Looks great, love the mini. Best meal i made was a leg of lamb roast - indirect using the woo.... Was the bomb Be careful ... Even though you are expecting your third cook out of the coals be sure to clean out the ashes at the bottom for air flow. I struggled with that a couple of times and now usually clean out the ashes after each cook. Enjoy!
    Minneapolis / St. Paul. Large & Mini
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    Nice looking cook...I'm a sucker to read any thread that has to do with a mini
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • Hotwingking
    Hotwingking Posts: 279
    Good looking bird and salad, I think a mini is next on my list ;)
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Damn fine looking salad bro!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Jamieoro
    Jamieoro Posts: 180
    Looks awesome! Care to share your wife's blackened chicken rub?
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    You really are putting that MINI to use. I knew you would like it. Great looking chicken and a nice, healthy salad. Good job. =D>

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Put me down for that please.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Great looking chicken and nothing better than veggies fresh from the garden to go along with it.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Dyal_SC
    Thanks a lot, ladies and gents!  @Jamieoro, she says she never really measures anything for the rub.  She does use a good bit of paprika and sugar for the blackening purposes, along with some chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder and fajita seasoning.  I've never watched her make it before, but it always turns out very good.  :)