Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size eggto buy for the first time?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What size to buy for the first time?
I am getting ready to buying my first egg and I am thinking about buying a medium. I have read about different people’s opinion on which size to buy. The majority have bought large, and some have large and small. It seems that few have the medium. There are just two in our family at home. Only once have I BBQ for five people this year, and twice this year for four people. [p]My question is; “What is your opinion on a medium for two people?”[p]

Comments

• ajay
    ajay Posts: 47
    Options
    dandylyons, I think a medium, or even a small, is fine for just 2 people. However, once you and yours start cookin and eatin some great food, you'll likely have visitors. Some even show up with a pachage of meat in tow, meaning you'll likely be cooking more.[p]Whatever size you buy, you'll be happy.[p]Happy cooking
  • Grillicious
    Options
    dandylyons,
    I would still go with a large. You may have only cooked for more than two a couple of times, but after you start with the egg you will find your egg food becoming very popular very quickly. People you don't even know will be showing up to eat just from the sweet, smoky smell emanating from your back yard. You could consider doing what others have done, a large and a small.

• dandylyons,
    I just ordered my first egg also but I went with the large even tho I'm single. I still want to have the ability to do some big smokes. Mik

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Mikhail Snegirev,
    eggcellent decision, Mik. Afterall a BGE carries a lifetime warranty and if you later become a party of 2, 4 or whatever the large will keep up with the growth.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • badbruce
    Options
    Hi dandylyons,
    Bigger is better as far as I'm concerned. The large allows you to cook for 2 plus mabye some corn or a side dish.
    Cheers,
    bruce

• SmokingInMO
    Options
    dandylyons,[p]Large is definately the way to go
  • Moldy Coyote
    Options
    dandylyons,[p]The medium for 2 people is perfect! I snagged a medium off e-Bay a couple of years ago for $270. If I were to buy a new BGE for my wife and myself today, there is no way I would consider anything but a large.
    The medium works fine, but when I have others over, I wish I had the extra space of the large. If you can chuck rocks at the people that would like to share your enthusiasm for great BBQ, get the medium. My next will be a large.[p]HTH,[p]David

• Dimple's Mom
    Options
    dandylyons,
    Another reason to consider a large is that you can cook extra and freeze it for later. You can undercook also and finish it off in a short period of time later. So you might want to do 4 slabs of ribs and pull 2 of them off early to freeze for a later meal.[p]Otherwise, I think a medium is fine for the two of you.[p]Gwen

• RRP
    Options
    dandylyons,
    just two of us here as well - neither of us are big eaters, but we eat well. Five years ago we started with a large, added a small and then my wife surprised me with a medium. Then in July she further surprised my with a mini. Has our family size grown? NOPE! Those ceramic eggs get in your blood!!! I use my small 55% my large 40% and medium a mere 5%. The mini will be for travel and we haven't traveled yet so that baby is still pristine white! Whatever you decide you'll love it - this family of two adults but four BGEs attests!!!

• RocketMan
    Options
    dandylyons,[p]I have a medium and am real happy with it - I rarely cook for more than two, but it's ample enough to cook plenty of ribs, chickens, etc for 4 or even 6. I don't think you'd be dissapointed with a medium... but that being said, if your budget can swing the large, I'd say go for that... ;-)[p]There are times I wish I had a second Egg to cook something else at a different temp at the same time tho... ;-)[p]- Andy
  • eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    dandylyons,
    ok, i'm gonna go out and hang myself out on a limb here. [p]I bought a large a few years ago and just recently got a small.[p]I only cook for two 99% of the time and not that many of our guests are obsessed with the egg, good food... but most of it for us average joes, well... we do well with it and can impress a few others. [p]if you get a little creative you can whip up a hell of a lot of food on a small and more than enough to feed four people and depending on what you have on your mind could be as many as 8 people or more.[p]The large is nice, but in all honesty, i think a small or medium may be a getter choice. i may change my mind tomorrow, but thats what i'm thinkin right now[p]Scott

• RRP
    Options
    IMG_0602.jpg
    <p />Scott...no flames here - OK?[p]I read what you posted and understand what you said. OTOH the reason I use my large is for pizza - which SWMBO - says she would divorse me (after 39 years of blissful marriage) if I didn't make one every two weeks (wink wink like I HAVE TO fight that challenge a second or two) and I also use the large for 18+ hour butts and of course lo & slo cooks like baby back ribs and then all the cooks using my Lodge Camp Cook style Dutch Ovens and then of course at Thanksgiving and a couple times inbetween a 23+ lb turkey...ahhhh geez - get the large and then you won't look back and wonder why you didn't spring for a large in the first place. BTW this is a pix of MY LAST gas grill - a Ducane that I kicked to the curb - had I bought a BGE back then I would have been so much happier and the cost trade off was measured in cents - but then, age brings some after the thought wisdom - doesn't it??? One last thought..."Life isn't a dress rehearsal - get the BGE of your choice NOW"
    PS - as a former banker for 27 years I never found anybody who figured out how to take his money with him - get my drift?

• billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    I bought the large. I don't regret it. Even though there is just my wife and I most of the time, I feel fine doing stuff for us and then when another couple comes over, you don't feel cramped with the grilling area. You don't have use all the grill area, but when you need it, it's nice to know that it is there. And yes I do have a grill extender for my large and yes I have used it (three spatchcocked chickens) Regardless the most importent thing.is to get the egg and before long, like the rest of us with only one, you'll be craving another one. Good cooking.
    billyg
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    dandylyons,
    I'm picking up a small to add to my large that I've had for the last 7 years. Go with the large and add another one later. With my large I've had times I wished I had more space. While you entertaining might be sporadic the space will be much appreciated by you and your guests (who does not like to eat).[p]H

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    RRP,
    I have a friend that is taking his money with him. He is going to buy a mausoleum to house his wife,mother,father,sister,mother in-law and myself if I like. (no, I will be ash and scattered in the Superstition mountains of Arizona)[p]The mausoleum will be in a trust to have fresh flowers every month and all maintenance needed to maintain it in a timely fashion. Now get this: The outside will have been inscribed with the words: [p]Who says you can't take it with you[p]Regards,
    New Bob

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    there are 2 of us - and i own a medium & mini.
    i use the mini for quick steak, burger, hot dog, chicken breast, ABTs, flank steak, mini pizza, wings.

my medium i use for long Low & slow pulled pork, brisket, whole chicken, turkey,salmon,ribs, pizza, wings.

but at times i wish i had more space- so the large would come in handy when i have 20+ people for dinner.
    i overcome this by making some food ahead & keep it warm in the oven.

note: once your friends taste the egged food, more will show up to enjoy your food :cheer:
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning dandylyons:[p]I started with a medium (because it was all I can afford at the time, I thought) and it did a great job of cooking for my much better half and I. However, it didn't take long to realize the large would have been better for certain times, so we added a large three years after the medium. Mostly the need was to prepare more than one item at different temps.[p]A medium will do fine for most applications and you can prepare quite a bit of food in one cook on a medium. I have even squeezed six (yes, 6) racks of baby backs on my medium (see the link below).[p]All that being said, if the funds are there then get the large first (the small and/or medium will follow shortly).[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

[ul][li]ribs[/ul]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    dandylyons,
    i am usually cooking for one or two, so a medium would work most of the time. i own a small and a large and would still recomend a large for a family of two. the egg is alot more than just a bbq grill. you will find that it replaces the ovens in your kitchen and you will be cooking outside much more often. thanksgiving turkeys, xmas roasts, large hams etc., things that you would never even think of cooking in a grill or smoker. the xtra space will come in handy.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    Options
    Ron,
    Saw the pic of your old Ducane and that's what I had too. I loved to rotiss before I got my large. I gave my Ducane, which I'd just put new parts into (remember the lifetime warranty?) to a friend of mine. I don't think I did him any favor. On the contrary, he did me a favor by taking it! I noticed you were a banker. I worked in a state bank for 3 years back in the early 70s. I've not installed my aramid gaskets yet. I hope to do that this weekend and I'll do pictures.[p]
    Jimbo

Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    dandylyons,
    I'd go for the large. I have both a large(actually 2) and small. I usally cook for only two so the small gets a lot of use. But, there are days like yesterday. I was home Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday watching over some contractors. Put a couple butts on the large Tuesday night for an overnight, and made dinner on the small. After the butts came off on Wednesday I figured it was time to make up a supply of meatballs to stick in the freezer for those cool pasta nights. Put about thirty of those on the large as well as a few links of Italian sausage. While they were cooking I decided I wanted clam and scallop white pizza for dinner. Wanted to make sure I had a few slices left for lunch so the pizza went on the large after the meatballs came off. The small just wouldn't have been big enough for a large pie.

• Sirtom
    Options
    dandylyons,
    I bought a medium about 5 months ago and just love it. It's just myself and my wife and our 15 month old baby girl and the medium has served us well. One time I cooked 4 pork butts for 30 people for our baby's 1st birthday over a course of 2 nights and it was just fine. If you plan on entertaining and cooking for more than 2 on a somewhat regular basis, I would go for the large. Either way plan on having a great time, eating the best food you've ever have, and spending a good deal of time dreaming of what you are going to cook on your egg next!
    cheers, sirtom

• Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    Dandy,

Go with the large, the lump doesn't go bad just reuse it for the next cook. The large gives you more options without juggling levels and timing.

Billy
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks