Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef rib question

I think a friend is bringing beef back ribs over Sunday. Can these be cooked quickly?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    They can.  Crank the heat way up.  Normally you low and slow them, but you can cook them quick - very common way to do it in Argentina. 

The short or chuck (I think) ribs are meatier.  The back ribs have less meat - it's between the ribs mostly.  The short ribs (bottom of the cow) have more meat on top of the ribs.  Easier to eat.  I like to cook short ribs sloowww. 
    Thanks for the feedback. For the big boys (ribs) should I separate them or go whole rack? I feel silly even asking that.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Doesn't really matter...whatever your preference is.  I see them sold separated all the time.  I guess it's because they're kind of tough to cut apart after they're cooked because of the membrane - it's really tough.  I haven't cooked back ribs much unless they're attached to a standing rib roast.  Short ribs, many times. 

Depends on the ribs.  If they are the back - dino bones - they will cook in a couple of hours.

If its the front - 3 or 4 bone plate ribs - will take longer - 5 hours to cook properly.

Cookin in Texas