Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ET-732 probe dilema

njl
njl Posts: 1,123
My ET-732 pit probe is out of whack, out of warranty, and I know I exposed it to super high heat one time in an act of stupidity...so I need to buy at least a replacement pit probe.  Probes seem to be $15-20 each, and I figure I may as well buy a full replacement set.  The best I can seem to find is just shy of $40 delivered...but then I see Amazon has the ET-732 for $43.99 with free shipping.  I guess I'm getting a replacement transmitter and receiver too.

Comments

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Sounds like a plan. If you think of it, you are also getting 4 batteries too and there is a decent chunk of that $4.00.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Do you have the link for the $43.99 unit?  Cheapest I see on Amazon is $51.
  • plus the replacement probes have 6 foot cables which are a PITA. I would get the whole unit if it's that close. That being said, I'm on my 3rd set of probes so It would get pricey to replace every time your probes go out. Mine never make it more than a year or so.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • njl said:
    My ET-732 pit probe is out of whack, out of warranty, and I know I exposed it to super high heat one time in an act of stupidity...so I need to buy at least a replacement pit probe.  Probes seem to be $15-20 each, and I figure I may as well buy a full replacement set.  The best I can seem to find is just shy of $40 delivered...but then I see Amazon has the ET-732 for $43.99 with free shipping.  I guess I'm getting a replacement transmitter and receiver too.
    Not only worth the new package, but now your warranty clock starts ticking again. If you have troubles, get another set. You may want to buy new, claim you have a failure and get a new set for your old Mav, that would be dishonest, just saying....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • njl
    edited November 2012
    It must have been a time limited thing or an error.  

When I placed the order, they were available in Black, Silver, White, or Copper color.  Only the white was $43.99.  Now they're all 52.99 or 59.99.

I guess I lucked out on the timing.  My order confirmation says 

Items:                         $43.99
    Shipping & Handling:            $5.74
    Super Saver Discount:          -$5.74
    1 "Maverick Wireless BBQ Thermometer Set - Maverick ET732"
    Lawn & Patio; $43.99
    In Stock
    Sold by: Amazon.com LLC

When I found this, I was about to order a set of the 6' supposedly higher-heat probes from a BBQ site, but they wanted about $10 for shipping, which I thought was ridiculous for 2 probes that could probably be sent in a padded envelope for a fraction of that.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Buy the new one and send the old one back saying its not working properly. Return the defective one on the new warranty and they send you  a new one and now you have 2 new units.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited November 2012
    @njl, I had a similar deal, ordered it one night and it was on sale for $40, with shipping came to <$50. Next day a friend tried and the price was $10 more. Depends on your luck, spin that big wheel of life......
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    Amazon prices do that.  I was looking at a G&L ASAT Legacy Classic (GEE-TAR) that struck my fancy...around $600.  One day, for whatever reason, I came across it again and it was like $350.  I bought it on the spot.  Told my buddy and he thought I was a liar because the price jumped right back up to $600.
    wow.....really?

• njl

hondabbq said:
    Buy the new one and send the old one back saying its not working properly. Return the defective one on the new warranty and they send you  a new one and now you have 2 new units.
    Oh boy...where are the bashers from the thread where I returned the dead Roomba to Costco? :)

No...I won't be returning the old one as defective on the new one's receipt.  I know exactly why/when/how the pit probe got toasted, and it was all my fault.  The only weird thing is that it actually worked for one or two cooks after that one.    I'll just have some spare parts, and I wonder if I can sync two remotes to one transmitter.  Then I could monitor the egg from multiple places in the house!
  • njl said:

hondabbq said:
    Oh boy...where are the bashers from the thread where I returned the dead Roomba to Costco? :)

No...I won't be returning the old one as defective on the new one's receipt.  I know exactly why/when/how the pit probe got toasted, and it was all my fault.  The only weird thing is that it actually worked for one or two cooks after that one.    I'll just have some spare parts, and I wonder if I can sync two remotes to one transmitter.  Then I could monitor the egg from multiple places in the house!
    That was me. At least I'm consistent :)

• I find it hard to find BBQ probes.  Never thought about it, but why can't the food probe be used for the BBQ?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• nolaegghead

I find it hard to find BBQ probes.  Never thought about it, but why can't the food probe be used for the BBQ?
    My pit probe broke and I used my food probe (this is on the DigiQ) for a few months until I bought a replacement.
    Replacement ET-732 arrived today.  This one says on the front of the box that the probes are heat resistant to 716F (but that it'll only display pit temp up to 572F).  I don't think the first one's box said anything about 716F...so maybe these are the newer style probes and will be harder to kill?
  • nolaegghead
    I think that's what the web site says, but maybe they changed it after you bought yours?
    Steam supposedly is what kills those thermistor sensors - moisture that gets inside the tip of the probe and boils.  The thermocouples that you find on the Thermoworks TW8060 is a lot tougher.  I think there are thermocouples in the stoker and guru also.
  • Steam supposedly is what kills those thermistor sensors - moisture that gets inside the tip of the probe and boils.  The thermocouples that you find on the Thermoworks TW8060 is a lot tougher.  I think there are thermocouples in the stoker and guru also.

I'm definitely using my maverick to monitor steeping temperatures in my homebrew mash/lauter tun setup. So far, no problems.

Knock on wood. :)
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited July 2013

I find it hard to find BBQ probes.  Never thought about it, but why can't the food probe be used for the BBQ?

That is exactly what I am doin @Doc. I bought a dual package of food probes. If I am cooking 2 different kinds of meat I will use a probe in each and monitor the egg from the dome thermometer

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    edited July 2013
    Steam supposedly is what kills those thermistor sensors - moisture that gets inside the tip of the probe and boils.  The thermocouples that you find on the Thermoworks TW8060 is a lot tougher.  I think there are thermocouples in the stoker and guru also.
    I was going to suggest this too.  I'm to the point where I'd rather spend more and buy once, than keep buying junk.  I just got a catalog, and an overly-detailed instruction manual for their Thermapen, which didn't come with mine, and they sell probes separately.  The catalog didn't indicate if they used 1/8" male plugs, but I'm sure a quick phone call will tell you.  

EDIT:  looks like the server crash that stalled my post here also cut off HondaBBQ mid-sentence...

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• notsure
    notsure Posts: 7

I ordered direct from maverick industries got both probes and a holder for around $20 free shipping.

XLBGE If I am not smoking I am working

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Botch said:
    I was going to suggest this too.  I'm to the point where I'd rather spend more and buy once, than keep buying junk.  I just got a catalog, and an overly-detailed instruction manual for their Thermapen, which didn't come with mine, and they sell probes separately.  The catalog didn't indicate if they used 1/8" male plugs, but I'm sure a quick phone call will tell you.  

EDIT:  looks like the server crash that stalled my post here also cut off HondaBBQ mid-sentence...
    If you are considering using Thermoworks probes on a Maverick, save your time.  Thermistor head units are not compatible with thermocouple probes.  Thermistors are resistive devices and thermocouples are millivolt sources.  To use thermocouple probes you must use a device similar to the TW8060 or an industrial controller that is compatible.  Thermocouple probes usually are screw connectors or the dual flat spade type as shown in the Thermoworks catalog.  The thermocouple probes are far more rugged than thermistors or other resistive temperature devices which in typical industrial use are contained in a well to isolate them from the media being measured.  Thermocouple can be directly exposed to the heat source if it is required, but this generally limits their life span also.  I have seen pictures of thermocouples installed in automotive cylinder heads to measure combustion chamber temperatures on individual exhaust header pipes to help trim fuel mixtures on racing engines.  When I worked for a manufacturer of electrical circuit breakers we used them to track temperatures inside the breakers during live test interruptions.  Obviously they were destroyed by the electrical arc, but lasted long enough to give meaningful data for engineering purposes.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • nolaegghead
    Botch said:

If you are considering using Thermoworks probes on a Maverick, save your time.  Thermistor head units are not compatible with thermocouple probes.  Thermistors are resistive devices and thermocouples are millivolt sources.  To use thermocouple probes you must use a device similar to the TW8060 or an industrial controller that is compatible.  Thermocouple probes usually are screw connectors or the dual flat spade type as shown in the Thermoworks catalog.  The thermocouple probes are far more rugged than thermistors or other resistive temperature devices which in typical industrial use are contained in a well to isolate them from the media being measured.  Thermocouple can be directly exposed to the heat source if it is required, but this generally limits their life span also.  I have seen pictures of thermocouples installed in automotive cylinder heads to measure combustion chamber temperatures on individual exhaust header pipes to help trim fuel mixtures on racing engines.  When I worked for a manufacturer of electrical circuit breakers we used them to track temperatures inside the breakers during live test interruptions.  Obviously they were destroyed by the electrical arc, but lasted long enough to give meaningful data for engineering purposes.
    Well said.  The Thermoworks meters will take, as most good meters like the Fluke, any type of probe (K, J, etc).  You just configure it.  But the thermocouples are professional duty.  Thermistors are cheap to manufacture, but fragile.  You never see them in commercial use.