Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatless Mondays??

Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
Yep. My wife committed to 6 months of meatless Mondays. Not like she needs to lose weight at 5'8", 120lbs. But... Guess I am following suite. I look forward to your suggestions. Grilled romaine, pineapple, pastas. Lay it on me.
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• New wife?
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Renegotiate the contract especially if you weren't at the bargaining table! 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Meat isn't in and of itself unhealthy. Fruits and vegetables and especially grains are not in and of themselves healthy.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    My better 3rd went 95% vegan probably about 6 months ago. Look around there are meals that actually aren't bad at all. The best ketchup I have ever had is a raw vegan ketchup we now make regularly. We also made a sweet potato sesame seed vegan pizza crust with the ketchup as a sauce and vegetables on top and it was actually pretty good. These recipes came from a book called thrive. I will post the pizza crust recipe if you want.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Make the case for fish not being meat. That should make it a little better.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424

Make the case for fish not being meat. That should make it a little better.

Do this. Mario Batali has even gone so far to argue that only things born live qualify as meat; so fish and poultry are fine on meatless Mondays.

If you think it is easier for you to follow, see if the dietary/ethical/social factors making her want to do this could be filled by Mark Bittman's vegan before 6 diet; I know in my house it is much easier to do different breakfasts and lunches for my wife and I (at least Mon-Fri).

There are definitely quality meatless meals though; we make a vegetarian feijoada from The Moosewood Cookbook that is outstanding. Plenty of meatless soups out there; corn chowder with fresh corn is great, we make a white bean and farro soup that is great (and you can remind her that it is meatless, not vegetarian, homemade chicken broth works great). Frittatas are great meatless meals and can help clear out the fridge. Grill veggies, romaine or cabbage, peppers, green or yellow squash, mushrooms and use them as burrito filling, by the time you get Refried beans, guac, cheese and sour cream in there it will still be tasty.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    If cheese is still an option then I would do a veggie pizza. 

Grilled portabella shrooms with balsamic reduction and feta. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Chubbs
    Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to push for fish for sure. We already eat tons of fruits and vegetables. I just need to browse some cookbooks for some new ideas. Keep em coming
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I'd push for all seafood.

Grilled shrimp salad

Green Lightning Shrimp

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Catholics used to have 1 "meatless" day a week. For reasons lost someplace in the middle ages, fish flesh was not considered meat. Lots of good food w. fish, cheese,eggs.

My elder daughter, and my daughter-in-law are both "ovo-lacto" vegetarians, although my DIL only accepts eggs as an ingredient, not as something in and of itself. Go figure. Its not to hard to cook for them. Something I came across as a result was savory French toast. There are various ways of doing it, but the simplest is to add some parmesan and herbs to the custard. Makes a nice dinner.

Look into middle eastern, and Indian cooking. Lots of good dishes that are almost vegan. From scratch, Indian dishes can be fairly complex. Layers and layers of different spice and herb flavors. Fortunately, both Indian and Mid-east cooking is common enough (at least where i live) that there is quite a bit of pre-made stuff, and its decent.

FWIW, I was a vegetarian for a few years, but eventually decided I was just kidding myself when a cow walked by me one day and i suddenly wanted a hamburger so bad I almost went for its throat right then. We still usually have a meatless day each week, but it is mostly for a change of pace.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    edited July 2013
    Pics or didn't happen...

The 5'8" & 120#

;)

If you can do fish, that's perfect. If not, maybe do a different stir-fry each week with veggies and change up the sauces and heat level?
  • Kain
    Kain Posts: 21
    "My wife committed to 6 months of meatless Mondays."

What.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    Kain said:

What.
    i think that means no food mondays
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Kain
    Kain Posts: 21
    Kain said:

What.
    Yes. Might as well fast until Tuesday.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I eat "meatless" quite often. Last night I had rice and beans with an asian slaw salad. Very satisfying. Black bean soup is a staple in my household. As was mentioned, there are many soups and stews that don't have meat. I've even had good meatless "meat and bean stew".  Make is pizza night and only do margherita pizzas. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    bluecheese coleslaw is good, i eat a ton of this stuff

if seafoods ok, scollops

bet this defeats your wifes plans but pretzels and beer is meatless
    :D

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    you have a paella pan that will fit on the egg?  If so, you should try this meatless paella out . . http://blog.cookingchanneltv.com/2012/09/10/paella-with-tomatoes-recipe/#
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Chubbs

Look at it this way, I am leaving more meat for the rest of you to purchase.

I am sure she will go for seafood, but if not the paella looks great. I might make this tonight with chorizo. Thanks @NDG.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Kain said:

What.
    That translates to Eatless Mondays.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    We do meatless Mondays too, it's not that bad to give up one or two days a week. I do Manicotti or stuffed shells, Black bean burgers, Eggplant Parm.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Wilma: "I've committed to six months of meatless Mondays."

Me: "Good luck with that."

Meatless one day a week is fine, but why Monday?  Mondays are prime weekend leftover days at our house.  If we did this at our house, we would have to make it on Thursday or some other day.  

Flint, Michigan
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    gdenby said:

Kain said:

What.

That translates to Eatless Mondays.

Yeah, I figured it was just a typo and you were fasting one day a week.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424

Wilma: "I've committed to six months of meatless Mondays."

Me: "Good luck with that."

Meatless one day a week is fine, but why Monday?  Mondays are prime weekend leftover days at our house.  If we did this at our house, we would have to make it on Thursday or some other day.  

That is actually a fairly interesting discussion.  It actually dates back to food conservation efforts run by the US Food Administration during both World War I and World War II, when they used the alliterative titles of 'Meatless Monday' and 'Wheatless Wednesday' to remind the public to conserve their intake of those ingredients, which could then be used to feed troops and people whose food supply had been completely disrupted by ground fighting, in Europe especially.

More recently the idea was brought back by a non-profit company in conjunction with the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, and is focused on making people more mindful of their diet and raise awareness of the health impact of all the meat we eat.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Don't forget Taco Tuesdays!! Ole!!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Vegetarian chili, Indian food, lentil soup, smashed potatoes, veg pizza (I actually do most of my pizza vegetarian...or close to it), eggplant parm, moussaka, falafel, veggie lasagna, veggie ravioli, cheese cannelloni, stuffed poblanos, etc.
  • I'll usually do two days a week meatless.  One day is usually omlet day.  All kinds of neat things to put in omlets.  The other is usually italian cuisine like many of those already mentioned above.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• SaturdayFatterday
    SaturdayFatterday Posts: 468
    edited July 2013
    We do one to three meatless dinners a week.  

Omelets for dinner (as @SWVABeanCounter suggested) are excellent.  A particular favorite for us is to fill them with a bunch of pre-wilted spinach (so you can really pack it in there), a thin slice of cream cheese, and hot peppers.  Add mushies, if you like fungus.  I also agree with @Eggcelsior that beans and rice is a classic, and that margherita is a can't-miss pizza.

You can do a vegetable fried rice with carrots, peas, broccoli, some kind of leafy green, baby corn and bell and chili peppers with a simple sauce (a few drops of sesame oil, some rice vinegar, soy sauce/tamari, dash of turbinado, salt and pepper - or Szechuan peppercorns - and sriracha, of course), too.   Really easy to do in a wok, and very filling.

Or Egg up some vegetables (zucchini and squash, leeks, any aforementioned ones from the above ideas) and mix with salad greens (baby kales and spinaches are flavorful and better than lettuce), dried cranberries, hard-boiled egg, and cashews and top with your favorite dressing.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • Zooker
    Zooker Posts: 17
    edited July 2013
    Brings to mind this scene which I tend to quote a lot around my vegan friends.

• Zooker said:
    Brings to mind this scene which I tend to quote a lot around my vegan friends.

I keep Windex in my medicine cabinet.

Flint, Michigan
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Sorry for your loss. ~X(

Johns Creek, Georgia