Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook

Options
So attempted my first cook on the egg at the weekend after the egg was delivered on Friday

I'm based in the UK so I struggled to find a boston butt, the nearest I could describe to my butcher was a bone in blade shoulder joint (6lb start point)

image    image

I trimmed the skin, fat cap and back bone (aprox 2lb removed)

Then used a rub recipe from @mrosener (still waiting for my Dizzy Pig package to arrive)

Left this wrapped in the fridge overnight, not sure I would do this step again as felt as though the surface was a little cured and almost hammy. Will go for an hour in advance next time

Into the egg at approximately 280 degrees (I hadn't calibrated by dome thermometer and my iGrill ambient probe hasn't get arrived) as was in for just over 6 hours until I reached 195 degrees internal. BGE Lump with Apple chips for smoke (didn't want to go to strong on a first cook)

Then FTC for an hour while we prepped the rest of the meal (apple and cabbage coleslaw)

Pulled really nicely with the bone coming out clean

Lovely and moist internally, bark was a touch tough (think was driven by the overnight with the rub)

Had made my own BBQ sauce, followed a recipe but I wasn't pleased with it (way to strong treacle taste), but on the whole over the moon with my first attempt.

Backback ribs this week end!!

UK LBGE Owner

Comments

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Looks really good. Welcome to the club.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Great looking first cook. Welcome to the zoo!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Welcome aboard-way to get after it with the first cook.  Looks great.  Enjoy the journey!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options

Strong work.  Welcome aboard.

Who's your football team?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Motoboss
    Motoboss Posts: 19
    Options
    Great job, looks like you went "whole hog"....................
    Is this thing on? I see smoke.........
  • Basbof
    Basbof Posts: 5
    Options
    Didn't have time to document every step of todays cook, but did baby back ribs using 2-1.5-1 (Uk rib sizes seem small compared to some of the posts on here). Only disappointment was that UK customs had held my Dizzy Pig delivery as I need to pay additional duty...... 

still very happy with the results (family loved the ribs), have found a UK supplier of Rays Rib and Bone Sucker sauces, so hope this will be the ideal finishing touches.

Had these FTC while I took out the plate setter, dropped in the CI grid and cranked up the heat for some burgers and halloumi.

I can't believe how versatile this thing is, I love my egg!!  
    UK LBGE Owner
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    Awesome cooks! If you are looking for a softer bark on your pork search for Turbo Butt on the forum. By foiling the butt the bark is much softer, still tasty but not crunchy. 

Good luck on getting your shipment, we may have to find a mule to get some rubs to you.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nice job. Way to get after it right away.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Dragonwmatches
    Options
    All of it looks great-well done!
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    Excellent work, and welcome to the board.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    Options
    Nice cook and welcome to the club.
    XL owner in Wichita, KS