Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock v. Beer Can

Options
I know very few out there would disagree that spatchcock has the majority vote, but today I tried out @chefrustyhamlin 's beer can chicken with chorizo under the skin and I have to say until you try it, you can't vote.  It had the most amazing flavor and was the juiciest chicken I have ever had. give it a shot if you haven't already.  

Comments

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    Can you post the recipe?

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    I couldn't find his recipe spelled out, but I watched the video and mimicked his measurements.  I will keep trying to find and post it.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    Cool - thanks!!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• RV10Flyer
    RV10Flyer Posts: 140
    Options

I like the sound of that recipe, thanks for posting.

I’m still not convinced that the beer can does much more than hold the chicken vertically and looks/sounds cool. 

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    I think you need to cook direct with a drip pan or plate setter legs down with the drip pan in contact so that the beer can (i use the ceramic fake one) heats up enough to steam the interior of the carouse and absolutely pug the neck, as in this recipe with chorizo. I know others use apples and so on.  Though in this recipe it was smoked indirect and the chicken came out spicy from the chili peppers in the beer.  Either way, moist and delicious. First recipe I have ever tried that came out this good.
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    lol, auto correct, carcass not carouse 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    edited July 2013
    Options
    One of the barbeque sites I learned about here (may have been Naked Whiz) did some testing on beer can chicken and found that the liquid rose in temperature about as quickly as the chicken itself (makes sense), never boils, and just barely steams.  The last beer can chicken I made (I too used the ceramic substitute, a lot more stable) I poured the liquid thru a strainer to taste it directly, at the end of the cook.  There was some flavor in it, but it was weak.  Very weak.  I haven't used that technique since.

Now, on the other hand, stuffing the bird under the skin with chorizo is freaking brilliant!   I'm gonna be trying that this weekend, probably on a spatchcocked bird.  Chorizo is a mess to cook in a frying pan (it falls apart, and I haven't found an easy way to drain off the grease without losing a bunch of the sand-consistency meat).  But, stuffed into a bird, some of the fat should be absorbed by the chicken meat (yum!) and the rest drip into a drip pan (easy cleanup!)  
    I'm excited to try this!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options

Here's the Naked Whiz test.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/beercanchicken.htm

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    GalanteNate_OneEa Posts: 967
    edited July 2013
    Options
    The chorizo basted the chicken incredibly and definitely was a nice consistancy once done. You will be thoroughly impressed once you give this a shot.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    That's it, thanks BillyRay!  Two points:

1.  It might seem that, at 198 degrees, that the liquid is close enough to boiling temperature that it should at least be steaming a bit.  But, remember the difference between temperature and heat (America's Test Kitchen had a good segment about this): you can raise the temp of water up to the boiling point, but much more heat energy is required before it'll actually start to boil/change phase (kinda like a "stall" point for water, albeit not the same thing :D).  

2.  Does anyone else over the age of 50 have an extremely hard time reading anything, either in print or on a screen, using white type on a black background?  I sure do, and it gets worse the older I get.  My solution on a screen: hit Command-A, or Control-A (depending on your operating system) and the colors, both background and typeface, will change, almost always more readable than the original white-on-black.  For print, I've actually had to drop a couple magazines because their artsy-fartsy format made them unreadable to us older folk; I've written a letter to each explaining why I dropped them.  Sport Rider magazine will probably ignore this old fart, but hopefully my BMW magazine, catering to an older crowd, will take note.  
    ;)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• vSNOMANv
    vSNOMANv Posts: 2
    Options
    I tried this recipe as my first cook on the BGE. It turned out Incredible. The crisp of the skin was great, (I never eat the skin!), and the chicken was fall apart moist. Nice touch with the sausage and I used Guinness in lieu of a lager.
    I managed to stabilize the egg at 350 but after I opened the egg at around an hour or so to add some potatoes and made the mistake of adjusting the vents due to the momentary temp drop and ended up chasing that sweet spot again for the last hour. Overall, it still worked out amazing and the chicken was great.
    Great recipe and a big thank you. I look forward to my next cook and continuing to learn how to make the most out of this incredible cooking tool.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I bet a spatchcoked chicken with the sane spices tastes the same, LOL
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Beer can chicken has been debunked (as far as the liquid evaporating and keeping the chicken moist) on numerous sites, but I do like the idea of chorizo under the skin.

@vSNOWMANv No need to adjust the vents after opeing the Egg or adding food. Give it time and it will return to its previous temp.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I have no doubt that it was great.  However, as others suggested it would taste just as good without all the stuff in the can.  If you were to do the same cook and just spatch it or use a vertical roaster I would wager it would be every bit as good.  Thus, no reason to waste the beer and veggies in the can!  Drink the beer, eat the veggies. 

Botch said:

2.  Does anyone else over the age of 50 have an extremely hard time reading anything, either in print or on a screen, using white type on a black background?  I sure do, and it gets worse the older I get.  My solution on a screen: hit Command-A, or Control-A (depending on your operating system) and the colors, both background and typeface, will change, almost always more readable than the original white-on-black.  For print, I've actually had to drop a couple magazines because their artsy-fartsy format made them unreadable to us older folk; I've written a letter to each explaining why I dropped them.  Sport Rider magazine will probably ignore this old fart, but hopefully my BMW magazine, catering to an older crowd, will take note.  
    ;)
    I have had the same problem for years (since my early 30's).  I think it affects people with astigmatism.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Debunked? I will tell you all that this chicken had multi levels of flavor. You could taste the rub, the chorizo, and the "beer can" mix. I specifically used Landshark (easy coast corona) and absolutely tasted it along with pepper. So I won't tell you beer can makes it jucy but it sur as hell flavored the breast. I'll account the dripping moisture to the chorizo basting top to bottom. So debunked? I think not.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I've made more beer can chickens than I can count using various beers, juices, liquids and adding spices, herbs and rubs to them. Never once did I pick up a hint of flavor from any of them. The liquid simply never gets hot enough to produce any kind of steam to impart flavor. Believe what you want, look up the facts, but I'll go with straight science. Try sticking a temp probe in the beer next time, monitor the temps and report back. I'll be shocked if you get anywhere near 200 before your chicken is way over done.

Rowlett, Texas

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Griffin said:
    I've made more beer can chickens than I can count using various beers, juices, liquids and adding spices, herbs and rubs to them. Never once did I pick up a hint of flavor from any of them. The liquid simply never gets hot enough to produce any kind of steam to impart flavor. Believe what you want, look up the facts, but I'll go with straight science. Try sticking a temp probe in the beer next time, monitor the temps and report back. I'll be shocked if you get anywhere near 200 before your chicken is way over done.
    bingo.  It's a gimmick (the beer or whatever liquid in a can).  But, in an egg, cooking the chicken with the dark meat up is a good way to cook the dark and white meat properly.  They make chicken stands (but you could use a beer can).  You need shielding under the bottom.  I believe I'm regurgitating Little Steven's diatribe on this subject.  And he's usually spot on (unless he's been on a binge). ;) 
    Bingo my butt ( pork that is) cap your bird. Bottom line I'm not asking, I'm telling, Spatchcock is for you, but flavore and moister hands down, this beer can moves the bar.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The moistness is because of some combination of you having a good yard bird, using an egg and you cooked it right.  It don't have nuffin' to do with any liquid in the can.
    Options
    I've always capped my birds when I did BCC. Not a new idea. I've used lemons, onions and other things. One time, there was excess skin around the neck and using toothpicks I was able to suture it shut. Capping it doesn't make a difference when there is no steam.

Rowlett, Texas

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Beer canning on a gasser required a spooge pan under the bird as it was an indirect cook, IMO. I think the moisture in the pan contributed more to the taste of the bird than the beer can. The preferred method was using a spit, rotisserie. 
    Once in the humid, temp and air controlled egg, the spit is not needed. Spatchcock is the winner hands down, either raised direct or indirect. 
    Have done a few low temp directs of spatched chicken on the gasser, but you really have to watch it. Anyone else spatched on a gasser? How did that go?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Beer canning on a gasser required a spooge pan under the bird as it was an indirect cook, IMO. I think the moisture in the pan contributed more to the taste of the bird than the beer can. The preferred method was using a spit, rotisserie. 
    Once in the humid, temp and air controlled egg, the spit is not needed. Spatchcock is the winner hands down, either raised direct or indirect. 
    Have done a few low temp directs of spatched chicken on the gasser, but you really have to watch it. Anyone else spatched on a gasser? How did that go?
    I've spatched on my gasser, it turned out fine although it does take a little extra watching.  I didn't do the entire thing direct; I've got a 4 burner Weber, I had the 2 left burners on medium to medium-high to keep the temp somewhere between 380-425.  I started direct and got some color on both sides, and moved it to the indirect side, skin up until it came to temp, or just before.  Then I'd move it back to the direct side for a minute or so to crisp up the skin if needed.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• WalrusBBQ
    WalrusBBQ Posts: 153
    Options
    LOVE ME SOME SPATCHCOCK!

------------
    Beers & BBQ

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Wow, great pic, Walrus!

Love spatchcock too!

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • DougQ
    DougQ Posts: 30
    Options
    I've found that the best part about beer-can chicken is the expression on a guest's face who's not familiar with the technique. Extra points if they're friends from another country looking to experience "original" American cuisine...
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I did beer can chicken for years but since I tried spatchcock I will never go back. My birds now are hands down more juicy only difference is the skin on beer can gets more crispy. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited July 2013
    Options

The only time I do beer can is for the grandkids, because they think it looks cool. I have a double Papa Jeabert's double stainless holder. It has spikes that we do corn on the cobb or baked potatoes on, as well as 2 chicken holders.

http://www.peterpeppers.com/index.htm

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    Options
    have done ground bacon onion and sage under the skin on turkey, very good, chorrizzo sounds even better
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    When I cooked the bcc I set my plate setter legs down with my dip pan and ceramic "beer can" in direct contact with it.  My ceramic definitely heated up and my fluid level was definitely lower that when I had started.  Im sure the chorizo's constant basting had much to do with the juiciness of the bird but I could taste the flavor of the Landshark beer and peppers in the breast meat.  Maybe it was mild but since Landshark has a very specific flavor I could definitely taste it. I only say everyone should give it a shot, and then go back to your spineless chicken ways...lol nice pun right?