Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all got to celebrate those tasty food holidays last week, we sure enjoyed them! We are even more excited about the beginning of fall, for so many reasons, but mainly for experiencing the cool, crisp air while being outside cooking up the best recipes the season has to offer. We especially love these Beer Pork Tenderloin and Ground Beef Acorn Squash recipes! Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Rusty wok

Is it salvageable? I haven't treated the wok the best and now it's all rusty. Anything to keep it or should I just buy another?

Comments

• Try using a wire brush to remove the rust, spraying it with Pam, and heating it in an oven or the Egg to season it.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 14,223
    I tossed mine and VI said I could have cleaned it.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini.... 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015

• SandBillySandBilly Posts: 224
    If it's just surface rust, id clean it. Maybe scotchbrites, steel wool or even SOS pads. Then re-season.
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 5,780
    SandBilly said:
    If it's just surface rust, id clean it. Maybe scotchbrites, steel wool or even SOS pads. Then re-season.
    Good advice. Also, rather than Pam I suggest veggie or canola oil and a paper towel to rub the surface as part of the seasoning process. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 11,341
    Wet and dry sandpaper with running water. Wash, then dry, then hit it with some steel wool or dry sandpaper.  Then season.

If you have a lot of pitting, sand more aggressively until you remove the pitting. .

• mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,658
    Ok cool. I don't think it would be too hard to fix. I believe all the rust is surface level ..ill give er a shot
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,645
    Is it salvageable? I haven't treated the wok the best and now it's all rusty. Anything to keep it or should I just buy another?

As mentioned it is easily restored.

How to, Clean/Season a Wok
    When I find one like you describe,I do soap and water and a brillo pad if it is just little dirty and rusty or  I take oven easy off cleaner. if it is really ugly.  Do this outside as the fumes are nasty.  I am working on one now that has taken 5 coats, let each rest 10-15 minutes.  After I get off what the cleaner will get, I take my mapp torch and burn the rest.  This step is not always necessary.  Then I place some peanut oil and do a 400F in the oven or on the grill.  I turn the pan upside down with a drip pan so and excess oil does not drain to the center of the pan and catch fire. About 30 minutes per turn and will sometimes rub with an oil paper towel.  I may coat 2-3 times over.---------------------I would treat it like a new wok and start with washing it thoroughly with soap and water, then heat your oven to 450 degrees, then lightly coat the wok inside and out with peanut/vegetable oil.  Place it in the preheated oven and let it run for about 20-30 minutes.  It should come out looking like copper.  Give it a light wash without soap just water let dry then wipe it down with peanut/vegetable oil if you are going to store it before using it, otherwise just wash it with water and do your first cook.  When you put it in the oven if you have any wooden handles wrap them in a wet washcloth or towel to prevent the wood from scorching or burning.  The nice thing is these woks are indestructable and whenever you need to you can reseason them.  There are other methods as well but I prefer this one.  Check out wokshop.com for details on the other methods.  Then enjoy the best stir fry you have ever had!
    Recipe Type: Help
    Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2012/06/07