Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bonesless baby back ribs?

Options
Anyone ever tried? The wife brought them home from sams club, and after the reaction my wife expected, I have to cook them. Anyone messed with them? Still low and slow? No way it can take as long as normal slabs. She wants me to cook them today.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    McRib? =))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    HAHA, I know! You could only imagine the look on my face when she gave them to me. It is litterally a rack of ribs, with the bones pulled out.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I guess they'll cook slightly faster but they still have all the connective tissue so I'd treat them the same temp-wise.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Right, I am thinking a little higher than normal. More like 275-300 indirect for about 1.5 hours.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Time for the good 'ol toothpick test to determine when finished...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    right... I guess internal temp will be a little easier. 140?

• michigan_jason
    Options
    You know, not needing to worry about touching the bones, should get a good reading.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    i think those would work really well with a red pork char sui type recipe
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    I think 140*F is too low-never have checked the temp on ribs (always go by feel) but I'm guessing you would have to figure about the same as pulled pork...just an opinion.  Let us know how this goes.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    I am going to go by feel. Will let y'all know.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    A market near me has sold "boneless baby back ribs" every now and then for years. I'm not certain, but I think it just the muscle on the small side of what's being called a pork t-bone.Some connective tissue, not much fat. Doesn't  demand lo-n-slo. I like to marinade them, and cook around 300 indirect, and then a few minutes beyond the heat deflector to add some browning.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    gdenby said:
    A market near me has sold "boneless baby back ribs" every now and then for years. I'm not certain, but I think it just the muscle on the small side of what's being called a pork t-bone.Some connective tissue, not much fat. Doesn't  demand lo-n-slo. I like to marinade them, and cook around 300 indirect, and then a few minutes beyond the heat deflector to add some browning.
    theres also the section on the country loin end of the loin that usually gets ground up between the tiny loin section and rib, it can take higher heats as well, its the only section i can see that might be called boneless babyback , ive cooked those at 325, there can be a fat type cap on that section

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    These look like a real slab of ribs. There is cuts where each bone would be and it appears they simply removed the membrane and sliced out the bones. Here are a few pics.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Those look very much like what I find for sale, but somewhat larger. What I've had has no evidence of the bones. Just a clean cut layer of meat.

But, I think I've learned something. I don't now think its the muscle from the small side of the t-bone, which would be the tenderloin. Rather,  the muscle that overlays the "tail" of the chop. The "tail" being the back ribs when separated from the spine, loin and spares.

At any rate, they cook much more like a piece of chop than spares.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    I wonder why these would have the cuts half if not more than half way through the meat? I really want to say that these are literally a slab with the membrane removed, and the bones sliced out. We will see soon, they are on the egg now and at 170* internal.

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    A lot of places here sell boneless country style ribs with cuts in them like you describe. I've always marinated or sauced and cooked them like chops and eat with a fork and knife.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

If you got it - cook it.

Not sure I would pick it up in the store though, would have to read some really good results on here.   I think cooking anything with the bone add's a lot of flavor.  Would have to be sold on the idea of boneless.

Cookin in Texas
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Options
    What good are ribs without the bones?  If it aint broke, don't fix it!

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    So after cooking as if they were baby back ribs, I found that they were dry, they reminded me more of a country style rib. Actually more like a freaking pork chop. I have already had an intervention with my wife and she understands what she did wrong LOL. No, she just thought "hey, I like boneless chicken breast more than regular so.." Even being the wife of a BBQ guy, she still wanted to push the buck. She now agrees with what we all know, ribs need a bone.

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Anyone ever tried? The wife brought them home from sams club, and after the reaction my wife expected, I have to cook them. Anyone messed with them? Still low and slow? No way it can take as long as normal slabs. She wants me to cook them today.
    Isn't boneless ribs an oxymoron? It's like saying "hamburger steak, convertible hardtop, military intelligence"
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Boneless ribs. I'm back to the tree falling in the forest with no one around and what noise does it make. Can it even happen?

Seems like you could have cooked them like a tenderloin, put on a rub then raised direct at 300 - 400 until IT is 140F. Seems like 10-20 minutes depending on thickness. Worth another shot.