Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adding to the family! Please help on setup.

Mkline
Mkline Posts: 180
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
I just scored a Mini from CL that has never used and is still in bubble wrap for $200. Which seems like great deal to me as I have been looking to add a mini and a small to my collection as I currently only have large.

So my question to the Egg community is how should I set it up? should I just call the CGS team and get the mini woo and stones from amazon or just go get a plate setter? or, what is everyone's suggestion/opinion?

I am open to all options and have to admit I am excited for the first cook.    

I have tried to search the site but it doesn't work very so if this has been discussed previously can someone paste a link and I will apologize.

Thank you  

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Nice score!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • WalrusBBQ
    WalrusBBQ Posts: 153
    Wow, I would swoop that up in a heartbeat!
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

• I bought a mini 8 weeks ago and am interested in seeing responses to your posting. I did buy the stones from Amazon and the woo from the CGS. I like these items but am still not sure what else I need. I am new to grilling. That is usually my husband's job in the large BGE.
    1large BGE and 1 well used mini BGE living in coastal South and North Carolina!
  • Mkline
    After some research today I guess the real question for the current mini owners is, does the plate setter combination raise the grid as high as the woo?

If it does then I will get the cheaper of the two as the cooking area and functionality are about the same. If the plate setter sits lower then the gasket line this should add a little extra cooking area and would be a better choice in my opinion.

Thoughts?
  • The platesetter for the mini requires the new fire ring OR you have to modify the old style with a dremel.  I think Lit did that.  If you're not particularly handy and your have the old style ring, it would probably be more cost effective to go with the woo & stones.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Get the woo and stones. It is more versatile. The woo allows for raised direct plus and indirect setup with the stone. Plus anther stone for pizza or bread. The PS only solves your indirect problem. Period.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mkline
    edited July 2013
    Thank you Chubbs! That makes sense. Those are the type of details I was looking for.
  • Elmer Fudd
    Elmer Fudd Posts: 65
    edited July 2013
    Nice find. I scored a mini over the holidays as well from a dealer with the nest for $250. The Woo works for me for indirect. I just posted to another thread that one of the best meals I've made on the mini was a leg of lamb roast indirectt.... Sorry for doubling up. Normal stuff on the mini is usually steak, fish and chicken.... Low carb. (except for corn on the cob).. Enjoy the mini.
    Minneapolis / St. Paul. Large & Mini
  • Mkline
    Thank you all! Looking forward to firing it up for the first time tomorrow. Thinking I need a couple of steaks!