Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Feeding the neighbors

henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
Cooked all weekend but mainly for my neighbors. Sent an email out offering to cook extra but ended up running the egg for them. Spares and butts. All a huge hit. My cooking neighbor is building an outdoor kitchen and constantly talks about buying an egg. I mentioned framing out a spot for his future egg... Sold. He lamented yesterday that his Traeger didn't cook good burgers. He's blown away by the versatility of the egg. Anyway, the neighbors love the smell wafting across the yards and the food.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Jamieoro
    Jamieoro Posts: 180
    edited July 2013
    We recently got some thanks from our neighbors for bringing these wonderful smells to the neighborhood. It's the gift that keeps on giving!
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Good to have friendly neighbors.  I'm lucky on both sides as both thank me for the wonderful aroma they wake up to on an early weekend smoking - the egg of course.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    What gives if the most aroma I wonder ??? Butts.?
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    typically butts and ribs for me. Steaks always smell awesome but I don't get to wander around and enjoy that or I would just wind up with charcoal at those temps.
  • henapple
    Probably ribs and pulled pork. Brisket... Long cooks.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited July 2013
    My neighbors in the direction I blow all my egg smoke are both vegetarians and it's not because they don't like the way meat tastes and smells.  I know I drive them nuts with the constant cooking and smoke wood aromas I blast into their back yard.
    :ar!

For whatever reason, spatchcock chicken always brings all my neighbors out.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Eggcelsior
    @travisstrick

Drink enough liquor and your piss will be like gasoline. You might change your mind...
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited July 2013
    I have a new neighbor. Strange fella. I put a butt on at 2am Saturday AM in preparation for my son's birthday. Looked over the egg and eyes drifted to his carport. He was in his boxers pulling clothes off of a clothesline. I am convinced he comes outside to smell the egged food regardless of time of day. Actually, I think he is trying to have his clothes downwind so he can smell like ribs at work. Is that "baby back" you are wearing??? =))
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    What is this "clothesline" thing you speak of?! 
    :))
    Chubbs pork butt brings all the boys to the yard,
    And they're like
    It's better than yours,
    Damn right it's better than yours,
    I can teach you, 
    But FOR GOD'S SAKE, PUT ON SOME PANTS!

• henapple
    I dry off after a shower with my ftc towels... Fat girls love me.... And fat guys.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Funny i am cooking a spathcOck chicken and just went for a walk around the neighborhood. Yes actual exercise. The smell is ridiculous and I must piss off my neighbors when using the egg. :)

Garnerville, NY
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    So my neighbor trims the leaves of palms etc that cross the fence line and dumps them over the fence in my yard. He gets free landscaping from my yard, but dumps the yard waste on my side anyways. Not quite sure how to approach this. Not cooking for him for sure.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    edited July 2013
    @caliking - geez wouldn't a knock on the door and a WTF? Kind of clear the air?

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    caliking said:
    So my neighbor trims the leaves of palms etc that cross the fence line and dumps them over the fence in my yard. He gets free landscaping from my yard, but dumps the yard waste on my side anyways. Not quite sure how to approach this. Not cooking for him for sure.
    Shoot him with a paintball gun when he does it. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • thunderkwb
    thunderkwb Posts: 18
    henapple said:
    ... Sold. He lamented yesterday that his Traeger didn't cook good burgers. He's blown away by the versatility of the egg. Anyway, the neighbors love the smell wafting across the yards and the food.
    This doesn't surprise me, I have family (nephews) that got a Traeger years ago, used to give me hell all the time about how much better it was vs. the BGE.  After I made a few cooks on the BGE for them it must made an impression on them, now the both of them have BGE's.  I can't get them to shut up about the BGE. I like to throw the ol' "I told you so" every once in a while at them.
  • Eggcelsior
    @caliking, does he have a pool? I just found your dog's new poop disposal area.
  • mdozier
    mdozier Posts: 90
    edited July 2013
    We're lucky. We've been here the longest (26 yrs) and since moving in we've now got 4 eggs in 5 houses, 1 new braunfels 10yr old smoker and some sort of pellet smoker pushed by Terry Bradshaw. Mine was the first egg and since it's aroma filled introduction my next door neighbor couldn't stand it and got an xlbge, then just last week another neighbor got his lbge the same day I got my second. Now the newest neighbor in between us (with the Terry Bradshaw gizmo) is asking all about the egg. Typical weekend is a communal-esq shared, smoked meat event with one person usually taking the lead and the rest contributing whatever. Beer, cigars and smoked meats are plentiful. The wives like the 70's-sitcom backyard community and the guys like the beer, cigars and smokin'. Just lucky, m
    Nashville TN 2 LBGE's and counting
  • Eggcelsior
    There is a dude in my townhouse block(directly behind me) that runs an Ole Hickory CTO and has a trailered off-set pit. I believe he may have a LBGE in his backyard but I haven't had a chance to talk to him yet. I saw it through his open garage walking the dog once. He runs a BBQ catering company. I ought to challenge him to a throwdown.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

@caliking - geez wouldn't a knock on the door and a WTF? Kind of clear the air?

caliking said:

Shoot him with a paintball gun when he does it. 

@caliking, does he have a pool? I just found your dog's new poop disposal area.

All good suggestions, but he ususlly does this early on Sat morning. I don't have a dog, and he doesn't have a pool. All I smell in my hood is lighter fluid most of the time!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    @caliking Mix some lighter fluid and vaseline together and carpet bomb his plants, Lt. Colonel Kilgore. It'll smell like victory...
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002

I cooked 50lbs for a guy and didnt even get a thanks. Not even a report about weather it was good or not. I wouldn't piss on his face if his teeth were on fire.

I have to take that back. Some of it, anyways.

The guys wife sent me a thank you card with a $50 gift card to one of the nicer restaurants in my area.

It took them a few weeks but better late than never.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Elmer Fudd
    Elmer Fudd Posts: 65
    I was afraid this posting was from my neighbor! After eating many meals off my egg they bought a Large. I really scored as they are excellent cooks, always make way too much, always invite Elmer Fudd for dinner and send me home with extras. They cook more than me sonwhen I smell the egg, I'll make my way to the mailbox..... You know the rest of the story.
    Minneapolis / St. Paul. Large & Mini