Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Sear Question

Options
I'm going to be cooking steaks tonight.  The method I'll be using is 300 indirect until desired internal temp is reached, then all vents open for searing heat one minute per side.  I've done a reverse sear a couple times, but would love some help with the following question.  How many degrees below the goal internal temperature should I shoot for by the end of the low-temp, indirect portion of the cook?  If, for example, I want to the steak to end up medium rare with an internal temp around 130, should I take it off the grill somewhere around 115 to allow for a slight raise in temperature when I put it back on to char the outer crust?  What do you all do?  
Southern California

Comments

• Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Options
    I think if you pull it at 110-115 you should be good. The sear plus a 10 minute rest should get you where you want to be. I might not a full minute per side, depending on how hot you are going to get the BGE before putting them back on. Maybe 30-45 seconds. Enjoy! Post pics later.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    That's when I pull it. Then I rest it for 10 minutes with a pad of butter on top.
  • SaturdayFatterday
    SaturdayFatterday Posts: 468
    edited July 2013
    Options
    It depends on the steak's thickness.  Generally, if I want my steaks around 130, I'd probably pull them from the indirect setup when they hit 105-110* to be safe - you can always tent 'em for a bit to bring 'em up a little more if they're reading low, but you can't "decook" them, so I always try to err on the rarer side.  I've pulled good, thick steaks at 110* before, seared at less than a minute per side, and ended up with a borderline medium steak (138*).

If the steaks are two and a half inches thick or something, maybe you can push the internal temp higher, but like I said, for what good steak costs, I'm happier to eat a Pittsburgh rare that I undercooked (and can pop back on if need be) than a medium I overcooked.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I've found at 110 at the rest the steaks drop 10 degrees... But I open the egg to nuclear and finish.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Pretty much agree with the above, better to undercook than overcook, off at 110º max. I do the indirect at much lower temps, like a low and slow, maybe 225-250º. Find things are happening less slowly so it is easier for me to see through the indirect cook beverage haze and read the Thermapen correctly. 
    Because I season the steaks only a bit before cooking, SWMBO insists the meat takes on more flavour during the slow cook - I think it is just the smoke from the lump. I also learned that if there is a lot of moisture on the steak surface after the rest, a quick dab with a paper towel will speed up the colour and crust considerably. Like 'Celsior I will often brush with butter (once dry) to give a nice mahogany crust. Then final season on the plate. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    Great, thanks for the tips everyone.  I think I'll try pulling at about 110.  Maybe I'll also try dropping the indirect temperature a touch too so I have a bit more control.  Will report back and let you all know how it turns out!
    Southern California
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    edited July 2013
    Options
    how long on average for a 1" steak cooked indirect around 300 to get to 110?
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    jls9595 said:

how long on average for a 1" steak cooked indirect around 300 to get to 110?

I guess about 15 minutes. I'd probably hot tub something that thin.
  • NJ_BBQ
    NJ_BBQ Posts: 137
    Options
    Is there any rest period between the indirect and direct cooking?
    Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB
  • SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    @NJ_BBQ: The way I do it, there's only a rest long enough to ensure your grate is preheated.  In my case, I set up CI, then PS legs up, then standard grid, so the CI grid on which I sear is already pretty hot when I pull the indirect setup.

• NJ_BBQ
    NJ_BBQ Posts: 137
    Options
    @NJ_BBQ: The way I do it, there's only a rest long enough to ensure your grate is preheated.  In my case, I set up CI, then PS legs up, then standard grid, so the CI grid on which I sear is already pretty hot when I pull the indirect setup.
    Thanks. Can you lift the PS wearing glvoes or do you use a tool for this?
    Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB
  • SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    @NJ_BBQ: I use gloves.  Pull the upper grid and PS right after the steaks, then open the vents all the way.

• radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    Where do you guys keep the hot Plate Setter???
    Long Island, NY
  • SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    I set it on a fireproof trivet on our outdoor table.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Depending on how many the cook is for, I use an old stone I cut in half. The 225º-250º indirect cook is done over the 1/2 stone, then I pull out the Grill Dome rack and sear on the CI grid. I sometimes leave the stone in, sometimes pull it out. 
    I put a couple of tile strip spacers between the setter/stoner and the low grid, makes it easier to grab the setter/stone - I use my ash rake and a pair of water pump pliers. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited July 2013
    Options
    To do a reverse sear ( I have never done one) could you not put the grate down first then the platesetter on top then another grate? This way your bottom grate is in direct contact with the coals and will be already hot when you remove the platesetter. Of course this will only work if you have 2 grates. I do. Might be something to try.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    @hondabbq

I do that. I have the same extender skiddy does so I would flip it upside down on the coals then put the PS and standard grid on top.