Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To Lump or not to lump

GJ
GJ Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How 'bout this for a problem..... I just purchased my egg but the dealer is out of BGE charcol. There is no lump to be found in the area stores. Here in London (Ontario) most folks have their BBQ's resting for the winter or they use gas.[p]A few places have briquettes but from what I understand this cannot be used in the egg. Is this accurate?[p]Should I just wait until the dealer gets a new order in?

Comments

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    GJ,
    Do you have any GFS (Gordon Food Service) cash & carry stores nearby? They carry both Royal Oak lump & hardwood briquettes. Also True Value & ServiStar hardware stores can order it for you. Item numbers in archives. Good Luck! Julie

• Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    GJ,
    Briquettes can be used in the egg, but are not ideal. you can order lump from BGE and they will ship it to you. You might find the briquettes give a bit of an off flavor, but if you've never used lump before, you might not notice until you have something to compare to. I'd say go ahead and get a bit of briquettes and try it out and get used to controlling it, but search our a source of lump as soon as you can. it will be worth it. (and welcome)[p]Mary

• GJ,
    Contact Les, **** or Chad at 217-223-5442. They carry 20 lb bags straight out of the MO Ozarks. He's got trucks running everywhere. He might just be able to help you out![p]Dr. Chicken

• James
    James Posts: 232
    GJ,
    You can always use wood.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    GJ,[p]Welcome to the family and forum. Briquettes are made from charcoal dust which is formed together with a binder. The surface of the briquette is coated with a substance that helps it light (usually boron). Sometimes lime is added to the surface to aide in showing the ashing that occurs when the briquette is lit. You need to burn off (ash over) the briquettes before cooking over them. This is at best inconvenient. Lump charcoal is basically pure carbon. It burns twice as hot and results in less than 1/4 the ash when compared to briquettes.[p]Use briquettes if you have no other choice. Load up on lump for the winter season.[p]Spin