Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Jerky help

Options
So I've seen some posts on beef jerky. What's the verdict on the best way to make it on an egg? Any and all suggestions welcome. Even wisecracks which I know I'll get anyway!

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I cook mine at 190 indirect for about 6 hours. I have been using cube steak but am going to try top or bottom round next time. I did a post it a while back.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    the mound method is easiest if you have a hard time keeping temps between 145 and 175. simply pile it up and flip/rotate pile hourly for 6 to 8 hours. its the easiest method if you dont have several racks to lay it out and is more forgiving to higher temp swings. ive also hung it vertically thru a raised rack, looks nice cooking but the pile method works just as well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • zosobao5150
    zosobao5150 Posts: 133
    Options
    Try to stay under 180 if possible.  What I have found:
    A good grid temperature reading is absolutely imperative.  You cannot rely on the dome reading.  I spread out my coals, no different than any cook and light one weber starter cube in the middle of the egg.  Also spread out some wood chips within 4-5 inches of the starter cube.  After the starter cube is lit (and I've got a couple pieces of charcoal over it), I put the plate setter in and shut the lid, with both dampers still wide open.

Once my grid temp hits 110 degrees or so, I shut the daisy wheel and bottom vent to a small opening.  The shutting of the daisy wheel will cause the grid temp to raise in the short term as the heat becomes distributed in the lower levels of the dome.  Continue to monitor temp to about 140, which is when I put the meat on.  At this point, I am also using getting some nice smoke from the wood chips.  I don't know what size egg you have, but on my XL, the daisy wheel oval openings usually about 1/8 of an inch open.  The bottom damper is usually around a quarter inch or less.

As long as I don't go over 180F near the grid I have had success.  Over 180F seems to change the texture of the jerky.  Still good, but not as good.

This last weeks cook, which consisted of 4 trays, took 10.5 hrs at around 155-165F.  I have now started to cheat by using a DigiQ, but you can do it without it.  Just be aware that even slightest winds will impact your temperatures.

Good luck.
    XL BGE
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    Zoso, this is great info as this is on my to-do list also. Couple of questions. Curious what you use as a rub/marinade? Also, do you rotate your racks/trays throughout the cook?
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • zosobao5150
    zosobao5150 Posts: 133
    Options
    Hey BuckeyeBob...not sure where you are, but I am in central Ohio.  I have been using LEM Backyard seasoning as a base.  I then have made some changes by adding in some Jamaican jerk spices that I picked up somewhere (I honestly can't remember...may have been in Jamaica.) for some added flavor and just a bit of heat.  I use instacure #1 (the pink stuff) to make sure I am doing what I can to keep people healthy.  I will probably move away from the LEM seasoning at some point, but I will need to replicate the taste, because everyone loves it.  I use LEM racks, which can be found at Gander Mountain.

I rotate the racks every 2-3 hours or so depending on my grid temp.  One piece of advice.  Open the lid, take all the racks out at once and shut the lid as quickly as possible.  Rotate the racks outside the egg and then quickly put them back in.  This helps minimize the temp variations.
    XL BGE