Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick grill temp and dome temp

I got a Maverick thermometer and it's amazing how much more fun the green egg is.  Now I can check the grill and meat temperature with the wireless device while inside the house.  The Maverick is incredible easy to use.  But there's a big difference between the dome temperature (measured by the egg thermometer) and the Maverick grill temp.  Sometimes they are close, but during an all day cook this weekend they were about 20-30 degrees apart (with the grill temp higher than the dome temp).  Is this normal?

Comments

• dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    edited July 2013
    Sounds like you need to calibrate ur dome thermo.
    Dome is normally 20-40° hotter then the grid
    Also could be your placement of your grid probe

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    yeah I know what you mean - I love the maverick.  Yes, they will show diff temps.  The dome is at the top - the grill probe is lower.
    Cookin in Texas
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Dome is always hotter to start. They will come together as the cook proceeds. In addition to calibrating the BGE thermo, make sure the Mav pit probe is not exposed to burning lump. Don't use it for direct cooks. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mr. D
    Mr. D Posts: 32
    When cooking brisket which temp should I go by ?  Dome or Grill ?  I have a "ponder" which measures oven / food.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I learned to cook on the egg based on dome temp only (the only temp provided by BGE). I never have any idea about the grid temp, nor do I care. When I use either the DigiQ or Mav, I clip the probe to the dome thermo probe. They don't always read exactly the same, but close enough.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170

For info-when cook temps are mentioned here they usually refer to dome temp unless otherwise specified, as the dome thermo is the one thermo every BGE has.  When it comes to what to believe with regard to multiple thermo indications the short answer is "Yes".  If everything is calibrated (key word) then you are measuring the thermal gradients that exist within the BGE and are different depending on the cook type, direct, indirect, raised gird etc. 

So I would get comfortable with  one temp and use it as a reference to guesstimate the duration of the cook since the real measure of "finished" is the meat temperature.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.