Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless pork butts?

Options
Does anyone have any experience with boneless pork butts? That's all my Costco carries and was thinking about giving them a try but would love any of your opinions.

Comments

• WalrusBBQ
    WalrusBBQ Posts: 153
    Options
    Ya we cook the costco boneless butts all the time, they're perfect!

A couple of them we trussed up with butchers twine to keep together but for the most part they look great
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    i always cook BIBB. I have seen boneless butts on the forum and it looks like the concensus is to tie them up prior to the cook. they must have a tendency to fall apart. otherwise the same IMHO.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    Do them all the time. I have been cutting them up into 4 or 5 fairly equal chunks. More surface area so more rub and more bark. Made the mistake once of buying bonelss sirloin roasts instead of boneless butts. Dryer than the butts and not as much flavor.
    XL BGE
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    Do them all the time. I have been cutting them up into 4 or 5 fairly equal chunks. More surface area so more rub and more bark. Made the mistake once of buying bonelss sirloin roasts instead of boneless butts. Dryer than the butts and not as much flavor.
    XL BGE
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I only do Costco boneless butts(no bone, no waste). I never tie them. When placing on the egg, I just position them as they came in the package. Perfect every time.
  • Jamieoro
    Jamieoro Posts: 180
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks all. I feel better about my sunday cook now :)
  • SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    @Jamieoro - we are doing the exact same thing for our Sunday cook, and I +1 @Eggcelsior's observation.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Yep, agree with most of the above. I've done bone in and bone out, prefer bone in but the Costco butts are a great deal. 

I've done them tied and untied. Untied is nice for quickness and extra bark, but the tied butts seem to cook a little more evenly and there's less risk in having it fall apart or have sections dry out.

Give em a shot, you'll find they're well with the price.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Plus whatever on the Costco Boneless that is all I do. I will be doing 2 more Friday. Here is how I do them, no tying for me.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Jamieoro
    Jamieoro Posts: 180
    Options
    @saturdayfatterday nice! Will you do yours overnight? How long do you expect them to take? The bone-ins we have done in the past have taken 2+ hours a pound in some cases. Dome temp around 250.
  • SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    @Jamieoro - I'm just doing a 5-6 pounder this time, so I'd guess somewhere between 10-14 hours  Grid temp around 230.  I'll probably rub down the butt the night before, then get up at 4am, start it up, and go back to bed, expecting it to be ready to take off and FTC between 2pm-6pm.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.