Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Boneless pork butts?

Does anyone have any experience with boneless pork butts? That's all my Costco carries and was thinking about giving them a try but would love any of your opinions.
·

Comments

• WalrusBBQWalrusBBQ Posts: 151
    Ya we cook the costco boneless butts all the time, they're perfect!

A couple of them we trussed up with butchers twine to keep together but for the most part they look great
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

·
  • tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,737
    i always cook BIBB. I have seen boneless butts on the forum and it looks like the concensus is to tie them up prior to the cook. they must have a tendency to fall apart. otherwise the same IMHO.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
    ·
  • SPRIGSSPRIGS Posts: 214
    Do them all the time. I have been cutting them up into 4 or 5 fairly equal chunks. More surface area so more rub and more bark. Made the mistake once of buying bonelss sirloin roasts instead of boneless butts. Dryer than the butts and not as much flavor.
    ·
  • SPRIGSSPRIGS Posts: 214
    Do them all the time. I have been cutting them up into 4 or 5 fairly equal chunks. More surface area so more rub and more bark. Made the mistake once of buying bonelss sirloin roasts instead of boneless butts. Dryer than the butts and not as much flavor.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,301
    I only do Costco boneless butts(no bone, no waste). I never tie them. When placing on the egg, I just position them as they came in the package. Perfect every time.
    ·
  • JamieoroJamieoro Posts: 180
    Awesome! Thanks all. I feel better about my sunday cook now :)
    ·
  • @Jamieoro - we are doing the exact same thing for our Sunday cook, and I +1 @Eggcelsior's observation.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
    ·
  • Black_BadgerBlack_Badger Posts: 998
    Yep, agree with most of the above. I've done bone in and bone out, prefer bone in but the Costco butts are a great deal. 

I've done them tied and untied. Untied is nice for quickness and extra bark, but the tied butts seem to cook a little more evenly and there's less risk in having it fall apart or have sections dry out.

Give em a shot, you'll find they're well with the price.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,628
    Plus whatever on the Costco Boneless that is all I do. I will be doing 2 more Friday. Here is how I do them, no tying for me.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • JamieoroJamieoro Posts: 180
    @saturdayfatterday nice! Will you do yours overnight? How long do you expect them to take? The bone-ins we have done in the past have taken 2+ hours a pound in some cases. Dome temp around 250.
    ·
  • @Jamieoro - I'm just doing a 5-6 pounder this time, so I'd guess somewhere between 10-14 hours  Grid temp around 230.  I'll probably rub down the butt the night before, then get up at 4am, start it up, and go back to bed, expecting it to be ready to take off and FTC between 2pm-6pm.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
    ·