Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How long to thaw out a butt?

so many directions to go with this but I will keep it to the point...  I have a 10lbish butt I froze and want to throw it on Friday night...  if I move it to the fridge to thaw out and then rub ahead of time- what is the average time would you say?  a day or two?

·

Comments

• gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,518
    I'd expect about 2 days to defrost completely. You can always speed up the process by placing it in a sink full of cold water.
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,561
    At least two full days.  I would move it to the fridge tonight, perhaps rub it down on Thursday. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,572
    In my experience, as long as the outside is thawed enough to hold the rub, it doesn't matter if the butt is thawed all the way or not. I haven't noticed any appreciable difference in cook time or taste/texture cooking thawed or frozen. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,296
    Like putty said, as long as the rub can stick it will be good. With it still being partially frozen, the temp will stay below 140 longer and allow more smoke adhesion.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,257
    Thaw it out enough to get the wrapper off and you are good to go

·
  • XLBalcoXLBalco Posts: 575

thanks for the feedback!

·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,060
    Turkeys and butts always come out of the freezer early, as much as a week before, if you have space in the fridge to let them thaw slowly do it. If not either cook frozen or thaw in a sink full of cold water. Thawing in the fridge helps the fridge out too, like having a big block of ice in there...
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,245

Turkeys and butts always come out of the freezer early, as much as a week before, if you have space in the fridge to let them thaw slowly do it. If not either cook frozen or thaw in a sink full of cold water. Thawing in the fridge helps the fridge out too, like having a big block of ice in there...

That a way to be Eco friendly Skiddy!
    :D
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    Don't bother thawing. Just get the outer part thawed enough to rub as others have mentioned. Won't make a difference even in the cook time.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·