Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long to thaw out a butt?

so many directions to go with this but I will keep it to the point...  I have a 10lbish butt I froze and want to throw it on Friday night...  if I move it to the fridge to thaw out and then rub ahead of time- what is the average time would you say?  a day or two?

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I'd expect about 2 days to defrost completely. You can always speed up the process by placing it in a sink full of cold water.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    At least two full days.  I would move it to the fridge tonight, perhaps rub it down on Thursday. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    In my experience, as long as the outside is thawed enough to hold the rub, it doesn't matter if the butt is thawed all the way or not. I haven't noticed any appreciable difference in cook time or taste/texture cooking thawed or frozen. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Like putty said, as long as the rub can stick it will be good. With it still being partially frozen, the temp will stay below 140 longer and allow more smoke adhesion.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Thaw it out enough to get the wrapper off and you are good to go

thanks for the feedback!

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Turkeys and butts always come out of the freezer early, as much as a week before, if you have space in the fridge to let them thaw slowly do it. If not either cook frozen or thaw in a sink full of cold water. Thawing in the fridge helps the fridge out too, like having a big block of ice in there...
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

Turkeys and butts always come out of the freezer early, as much as a week before, if you have space in the fridge to let them thaw slowly do it. If not either cook frozen or thaw in a sink full of cold water. Thawing in the fridge helps the fridge out too, like having a big block of ice in there...

That a way to be Eco friendly Skiddy!
    :D
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Don't bother thawing. Just get the outer part thawed enough to rub as others have mentioned. Won't make a difference even in the cook time.
    Dunedin, FL