Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Those old enough to remember the tunes of the 60s will recognize the reference....[p]After several succesful low and slow events on the BGE I decided to try to sear a couple of steaks. But after succesfully getting the temp up to 650 degrees, I opened the egg to find.... FIRE!!!.....[p]Well, no big surprise I guess, it is, after all, a BBQ. But I could not get the flames out until I lowered the temp significantly, and it was just not as much fun searing the steaks at the lower temp.[p]Is this just the way it is, or is there another way to get the high temp without the flames that scorch my meat? BTW, I was using the BGE chunk charcoal.[p]Thanks,[p]Michael

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Mike Nelson, Not sure what you meant, but usually just closing the dome and shutting of the airflow will dampen the flames. Musta been super fire char-coal.
    Next time just close off the top with the solid cap and any flame should diminish right away.
    Let us know if thats not the case.
    Cheers..C~W

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Mike Nelson,
    The fire does subside a little when the dome is closed but if your asking for 650+ deg then you're going to have fire. I own three large oven mits - sadly I don't use them enough and I lost some hair on my left arm last night. Becareful when opening up when there is 600+ deg heat in there. [p]Since you made a reference to the 60's (yes, I remember A. Brown and Fire) do you recall the slogan "Fire Kissed Steaks"? There is something to it you know.[p]Tim