Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke in the attic?

My wife smelled the "grill smell" in our closet.. Turns out, I had added some lump to a cook while the Egg was under our porch.. I guess all the initial smoke/VOCs went up into the perforated holes on the soffit.. Checked the attic and it was a bit hazy and smelled like smoke.

I've got the garage attic entrance open with a couple of fans blowing in the attic.. Hopefully that does the trick.

Anyone else dealt with this?
LBGE
MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I have had "Toys in the Attic"  :))

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    Tell your wife that you did it on purpose to discourage bat nesting.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Tell your wife that you did it on purpose to discourage bat nesting.
    LOL..

Well, everything seems fine.. Went and bought a carbon monoxide monitor - not sure why we didn't have one already - and it's saying there's none in the air.  Attic is much less smoky after running the fans and leaving the garage entry open.

Lesson learned.
    LBGE
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    what temp do you cook bat too
    Cookin in Texas
  • bccomstock
    I could always say I was attempting a large scale cold smoker, amirite?
    LBGE
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    boatbum said:
    what temp do you cook bat too
    Ozzy just eats them raw like oysters.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    If you've got any varmints up there they should consider themselves "warned" :))
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Can you spatchcock a bat? maybe as an appetizer. On a serious note - I would find a solution to stop the smoke infiltration. It will leave a persistent odor, at some point you may be selling your house and a house inspector crawling around - thinking there had been a fire.
    Cookin in Texas
  • bccomstock
    edited July 2013
    boatbum said:
    Can you spatchcock a bat? maybe as an appetizer. On a serious note - I would find a solution to stop the smoke infiltration. It will leave a persistent odor, at some point you may be selling your house and a house inspector crawling around - thinking there had been a fire.
    I'm thinking it was a one time thing based on the volume of smoke that came out of the Egg under the porch.. I had moved the Egg under the porch covering to shield it from potential rain while leaving the house and didn't move it back out when adding the lump.. I don't believe it's ever happened otherwise.

But you bring up a good point.  I probably need to find a way to air it out some more.
    LBGE