Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Are Weber Starter Cubes safe to use in the BGE?

GBCGBC Posts: 58
I've been using the BGE starter blocks, however I'm wondering if the Weber starter cubes are safe to use.
·

Comments

• rsmith193rsmith193 Posts: 219
    I've used them for years with no problems.
    ·
  • STANGOJESTANGOJE Posts: 44
    I soak a few paper towels in veggie oil, TeePee the lump around the towels and light.  It is a cheap solution and no worries of damage to your egg.  It is also very fast.
    ·
  • GBCGBC Posts: 58
    So it has no chemicals that soak into the porcelain, like lighter fluid would?
    ·
  • Black_BadgerBlack_Badger Posts: 909
    +1 on paper towel w/ cooking oil. Cheap, easy, reliable. Give it a shot.
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • HotwingkingHotwingking Posts: 183
    I have used them a lot, never had a problem
    ·
  • beteezbeteez Posts: 318
    No prob,em on the weber cubes
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,480
    STANGOJE said:
    I soak a few paper towels in veggie oil, TeePee the lump around the towels and light.  It is a cheap solution and no worries of damage to your egg.  It is also very fast.
    And - if you have a deep fryer, you can use the old oil to start the egg, only cost is the paper towel, which could be a used napkin or not too soiled paper towel. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • The Weber cubes are just paraffin wax, so they should be fine.  The BGE squares are just paraffin and sawdust, basically.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
    ·
  • QDudeQDude Posts: 587
    I've used them with no problems - no smell.  Very easy to use.

A northern Colorado Egghead since 2012!

XL and a Small BGE.

·
  • nealcr1nealcr1 Posts: 179
    I have used them as well. Work great and no smell.
    Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup
    ·
  • CAT SellerCAT Seller Posts: 205
    Large owner for 7 years now. After my two free boxes of bge squares, I have been using the weber cubes since. I buy them by the case, and can get them down to a cost of $0.13 to .16 per cube. No problems here.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
    ·
  • llrickmanllrickman Posts: 509
    Pretty much all ive ever used in my BGE is Weber cubes they are cheap and work very well
    One LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
    ·
  • StoicDudeStoicDude Posts: 80
    Been using Weber cubes for 4 years now. Never an issue and no smells. They are one of the cheapest starter items around.
    ·
  • bodskibodski Posts: 353

I've been using these since I got my egg. Still working on the same box. A little over $ 0.10 each. I'll also use a napkin and oil from time to time.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00138MO16/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Gasser

·
  • lewisj82lewisj82 Posts: 55
    I soak up bacon grease with a paper towel and use that to light my egg. Works great, plus... bacon!

BGE XL- Tomball, TX
    ·