Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cheap good briskets for Austin peeps

Hi Guys- I found a very good Excel choice Angus Brisket at Randall's in Lakeway for $1.49lb. They had 2 more as of yesterday. That is the brisket in the "broke my foot off in one" thread. It was unreal. I just left HEB Bee Cave and they had gorgeous CAB briskets for $2.18lb. Of course I fondled all of them (as Janell rolled her eyes and ran as far/fast as she could) and they are really good. Super floppy and had good shape. Anyone looking for a killer brisket at a great price in the lakeway/bee cave area should grab one of these. 
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• Thanks for the heads-up, CenTex! If I didn't already have a Costco brisket in the fridge for tomorrow, I'd grab one in Lakeway. :D
  • Thanks for the heads-up, CenTex! If I didn't already have a Costco brisket in the fridge for tomorrow, I'd grab one in Lakeway. :D
    seems like we have been in a drought for good briskets for the last 2-3 years. I was having to chase all over. Now all of the sudden everyone is carrying CAB, Prime, good Choice.I'm like a freaking hoarder with these things because I keep thinking they are going to disappear.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Same drill in the Killeen/Ft Hood area. CAB brisket for $2.18 per lb. Get em while you can. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Rub it in guys :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    @travisstrick My daughter lives in Killeen/Ft Hood area and she is coming to Tennessee this weekend. Where do they have CAB brisket for $2.18 per lb.? I might have her pick me up one and put in a cooler on ice till she gets here.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Blah blah blah. TX is the coolest :-q
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    I can get them for $5 a pound here. Boom
  • Chubbs said:
    Blah blah blah. TX is the coolest :-q

L-)
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @Chubbs: don't be a hater.

Now I gotta go cruise by my neighborhood Randalls to see if they have any briskets left.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:
    @Chubbs: don't be a hater. Now I gotta go cruise by my neighborhood Randalls to see if they have any briskets left.

I'd be mad too if I paid $5 per lb for brisket. Hatey mcHater =Chubbs
  • Chubbs
    Only joking fellas. :ar!
  • travisstrick
    bo_mull said:
    @travisstrick My daughter lives in Killeen/Ft Hood area and she is coming to Tennessee this weekend. Where do they have CAB brisket for $2.18 per lb.? I might have her pick me up one and put in a cooler on ice till she gets here.
    Any HEB. She will know where they are. 
  • Chubbs said:

Hater.
  • Chubbs

Chubbs said:

Hater.
    Hater
  • Chubbs said:
    Hater.
    Hater

Real original chubbs. I mean hater........ Sick burn! Boooooom. (Hater).
  • Chubbs
    I surrender
  • caliking
    Chubbs - just yankin' yer chain :D

• bo_mull
    @travisstrick Thanks, I will tell her

Cleveland, TN.

• CAB?
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
  • bo_mull
    Certified Angus Beef

Cleveland, TN.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Randall's is also Tom Thumb and Safeway. I picked up two briskets right before the 4th at $1.49, but I had two $10 off coupons from spending over $100 there prior. I had to make two trips (can't use two coupons at same time), but one brisket was originally marked $36, down to $16 at $1.49 price minus the $10 coupon = $6.00 brisket!! The other one was $5 something. :D Now I just need a free weekend...

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    @Cen-tex, I talked to the butcher at Steiner Randals on those... the markings were interesting.  It's an Angus brisket, but doesn't have the CAB logo, just says ANGUS on the cryo pack.

I meant to post on the thread and ask.. CAB brisket (right next to it) was still at 50$ a brisket and over trimmed.  Butcher said the 'regular' brisket may say choice, but they only guarantee select quality on brisket. Huh?  But it says choice and angus........

So I cooked ribs and got drunk.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • @Cen-tex, I talked to the butcher at Steiner Randals on those... the markings were interesting.  It's an Angus brisket, but doesn't have the CAB logo, just says ANGUS on the cryo pack.

I meant to post on the thread and ask.. CAB brisket (right next to it) was still at 50$ a brisket and over trimmed.  Butcher said the 'regular' brisket may say choice, but they only guarantee select quality on brisket. Huh?  But it says choice and angus........

So I cooked ribs and got drunk.

The CAB was at HEB bee cave. The brisket I cooked this week was the Randall's Excel Angus Choice that you saw in Steiner. They do their Ranchers Reserve as thier house brand. It's all select and they have the tenderness guarantee or whatever. I'll pass. The angus choice was awesome and $18
  • caliking
    Griffin said:

Randall's is also Tom Thumb and Safeway. I picked up two briskets right before the 4th at $1.49, but I had two $10 off coupons from spending over $100 there prior. I had to make two trips (can't use two coupons at same time), but one brisket was originally marked $36, down to $16 at $1.49 price minus the $10 coupon = $6.00 brisket!! The other one was $5 something. :D Now I just need a free weekend...

Thief!

• aem
    aem Posts: 146
    I just left HEB Bee Cave and they had gorgeous CAB briskets for $2.18lb.
    Were they labeled "Natural"?  Saturday I cruised by the meat case at the Lakeline HEB (having picked up a Prime NY Strip and Natural Pork Tenderloin) and saw a couple of Natural Angus Choice briskets and at least one Prime. 
  • aem said:
    I just left HEB Bee Cave and they had gorgeous CAB briskets for $2.18lb.
    Were they labeled "Natural"?  Saturday I cruised by the meat case at the Lakeline HEB (having picked up a Prime NY Strip and Natural Pork Tenderloin) and saw a couple of Natural Angus Choice briskets and at least one Prime. 
    No but those are awesome- as good as any you will get. They are usually around $4 per lb. Same as the prime. The CAB had the CAB logo on the cryo. 
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    CAB price like makes me wish I was there. We are at $2.95 for them here. But that's what I practice with so I go through a lot of them, it beats the $10.00 to $12.00 I pay for my competition Wagyu.
  • rsmith193 said:
    CAB price like makes me wish I was there. We are at $2.95 for them here. But that's what I practice with so I go through a lot of them, it beats the $10.00 to $12.00 I pay for my competition Wagyu.

$2.95 every day for CAB is a great deal. We haven't had that in years. All these deals are recent and not available very day.
  • travisstrick
    I can get choice for $1.99 every day.