Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How do you know?

I've read a few different ideas on the subject, but I'm curious what the most popular method is on the forums.  How do YOU tell when your ribs are done (beef and or pork)?
·

Comments

• ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,277
    when you hold them with a pair of tongs and they bend 90 degrees
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • BadongBadong Posts: 126
    When do you start performing this test?
    ·
  • RV10FlyerRV10Flyer Posts: 135

I use the bend test and check temp with an instant read thermometer.

The following is a good read on the subject: http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/are_they_ready.html

North Texas

XL BGE

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,262
    or you can eat some :D

·
    RV10Flyer

Excellent article.  How do I adapt this for beef (I know, I know, but my wife loves carne de vaca)?
    ·
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273

If you are not already doing this ( or haven't much in the past) - I would recommend probing your meat.

Poke it with the thermapen ( or a skewer or a toothpick) when it first goes on.  See how it feels.  Start to get a feeling for how the meat feels different as it cooks.

Time helps me plan my cook.

Temp helps me know when to start probing (or bending with ribs)

Probing tells me its done.

Just my .02 worth.

Cookin in Texas
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,494
    Bend test is good for full racks but I have moved to the toothpick test since occsionally I cut the racks or if you are also cooking the flap meat from trimmed spares toothpick worlks for me.  No resistance in or out and you are there.  YMMV-
    Louisville
    ·

lousubcap said:
    Bend test is good for full racks but I have moved to the toothpick test since occsionally I cut the racks or if you are also cooking the flap meat from trimmed spares toothpick worlks for me.  No resistance in or out and you are there.  YMMV-
    Thank you.  Didn't get this in time but the first rack turned out pretty well. This makes a lot of sense. Are you not foiling or are you just probing through the foil?
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,494

@Badong _ I don't foil unless guest preference, but I have found that if you run for around 3-4 hrs w/o foil, then foil for an hour or so they are usually (unless overly meaty) fall off the bone by then.  Here's a good read that may give you some worthwhile info-

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html Check out the bottom three articles of the pork recipe section.

Louisville
    ·
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,450
    When I do pork ribs I usually run around 250* indirect. I start checking for doneness at around 4 hours. I never foil them. I'll either use a toothpick or the bend test. I prefer my ribs pull off the bone as opposed to fall off.

I don't do too many beef ribs so I can't opine on those.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.