Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got The Table Done, Ready To Grill

I bought a BGE about a month ago and didn't want to buy the leg nest or the BGE tables sooooo, it has taken several weeks to get my table finished but it's done and getting ready to grill steaks tonight!

I was forturnate enough to get some tiger maple from a local mill for a great price so thats what I used. The legs are cedar with the Cabot Aussi Oil finish in flaming mahogany. I then used several coats of Teak Oil to seal everything. The bottom shelf pieses are trevertine 16 x 16 so I have somewhere to put all the hot stuff. I'm debating on my "hot plate" for the top but something need to be used to save the top finish, probably end up using a piece of the travertine. I'm by means a carpenter, more like a wood butcher, but it came out alright and I'm ready to but the BGE to use.

Anyway, thanks for all the information and insights form the site to help me getting this done.

The Wife was happy to have it all finished she bought me a cover for it yesterday!

Is this thing on? I see smoke.........

Comments

• GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    A job well done "wood butcher". Enjoy that first cook with a cold one. It's on me---right.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Time to get that egg dirty.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Very nice table!
    Looks awesome. I love that wood, and the oil finish really brings out the 'tiger'

I'm sure lots will comment on this, but you need some air space below your egg, or fire brick is best otherwise the heat transfer to the wood might cause a hazard.
  • CoolBees
    CoolBees Posts: 32
    Table looks great...but, the Egg is way too clean!!!   
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Ha.  How can you have that Egg and not have cooked on it yet?  Fire that sucker up!  Really nice build on the table, by the way.  I'm jealous :)
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    edited July 2013
    I wish I had done a stain similar to that on mine, that looks good.  I just used what I had at the house already.  
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Motoboss
    Motoboss Posts: 19
    thebaron said:
    Looks awesome. I love that wood, and the oil finish really brings out the 'tiger' I'm sure lots will comment on this, but you need some air space below your egg, or fire brick is best otherwise the heat transfer to the wood might cause a hazard.
    I bought one of the small legs but the egg it dose not fit flush on it and it rocks. Going to try and do some "creative bending" to make it so it will not rock. I have it fired up now and at 400 there is no heat transfer to the bottom stone, but I do believe there should be some air flow under the bottom of the egg and I do need to address it, Thanks
  • I had my XL on a table nest sitting on a piece of tile.  After about 6 cooks I decided to replace my casters with bigger casters.  I removed the egg and tile and found that the shelf was scorched on top (under the tile).  I eventually bought a heat barrier from some internet company to place below the tile.  It seemed to work.  I would definately give it some air flow under there.

Table looks awesome!!

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Watch the board on the back that it doesn't get too hot. Nice table
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Motoboss

I had my XL on a table nest sitting on a piece of tile.  After about 6 cooks I decided to replace my casters with bigger casters.  I removed the egg and tile and found that the shelf was scorched on top (under the tile).  I eventually bought a heat barrier from some internet company to place below the tile.  It seemed to work.  I would definately give it some air flow under there.

Table looks awesome!!

henapple said:
    Watch the board on the back that it doesn't get too hot. Nice table

Thanks guy's. I am going to try to get the table nest under it this weekend.
  • Motoboss

Got the table nest back under the LBGE. had to do a little creative bending and shaping but now I'm happy to have it off the tile.

Grill ON!!

• tactical_66
    tactical_66 Posts: 207
    Good looking table. Enjoy and welcome