Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked lasagna

So, I have a very good friend who is currently hiking the Appalachian Trail.  He's gone over a thousand miles so far, and still has nine-hundred-something to go.  When he passed through the NoVA/WV area, I went and picked him up from Keyes Gap, WV and brought him back to our house in the NoVA 'burbs.  We promised him that we'd make him whatever he wanted for dinner, get him resupplied, and get him a nice stay in a warm bed (he had a lot of bad weather for the first third of the trail, including hail and ice storms in the Smokey Mountains).

He chose lasagna, so we made our first lasagna on the Egg:  a pulled pork/Italian sausage/ground buffalo lasagna packed with zucchini, squash, spinach and ricotta, and topped with mozzarella and gouda.  We smoked it with chunks of cherry wood.  We made it the night before I went to pick him up, because lasagna is always better the next day, so we figured we just ought to make it a day ahead to begin with.

Turned out pretty well:

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.

Comments

• Jamieoro
    Jamieoro Posts: 180
    Nice! In sure he was a happy camper :P
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682

Love it!  Have done quite a few on the egg and they've turned out great.  You are correct in that for some reason lasagna is better the day after the cook.  I usually make two and freeze what's left over, in individual portions.  Always amazed how much smoke taste remains once reheated.  Nice job. 

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Letz4wheel
    Letz4wheel Posts: 236
    Great looking feed! What is your friends trail name?
    Southern Indiana
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I want one of these again so badly - A few more months maybe.  Looks great.

Garnerville, NY
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050
    Looks terrific! I've made baked spaghetti on the egg before, but never lasagna. I gotta try this. Thx!
  • @Letz4wheel:  he goes by "Two-Sticks."

@robnybbq:  We did a no-noodle lasagna once.  Here's the recipe, which you're welcome to try:  http://achefandacook.tumblr.com/post/6336881319/paleo-lasagna  If I had it to do over, I'd get more of the water out of the spinach, collards, and rutabaga (by blanching and pressing) first, and definitely DRAIN THE TOMATOES or use a puree, because it ended up a bit soupy on the first go-round.  

Also, that's my wife and I's old food blog.  There are a number of paleo-esque dishes and ideas on it that might be interesting to you.

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    SaturdayFatterday - Thanks - That looks great.  On the list for the weekend or later in the week.

Garnerville, NY
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    I've made it twice, no smoking woods, and it was awesome.
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • Letz4wheel
    I have seen two-sticks blog I think. Either that or have seen a few mentions of him. Something about no trekking poles so he walks with two sticks if i remeber right. I would love to do the trail....someday :)
    Southern Indiana
  • @Letz4wheel:  if you're a fan of the band Herb & Hanson, you've probably seen his blog, since he's one of the members.  Otherwise, you've seen him on others' mentions, because he definitely eschewed trekking poles for two smooth sticks.

• Letz4wheel
    I looked today. He has a trail journal posted. He hasn't posted in awhile though. Heck hiking the trail is hard enough :) As far as Herb and Hanson I didn't even think that stuff was legal anywhere but Cali and Colorado.
    Southern Indiana
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    This was on my To-Do list for my smoker  for years and I never got around to it. It is on the To-Do list for the Egg and after looking at yours I gotta make it happen. Nicely done!! =D>
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • This is another one I think I can sell to the Mrs. She doesn't get excited about new meats but this I think she will. Thanks for the idea. And best wishes to your friend. I know others who have done that and I hear it is very challenging. I'll stick to eating and cooking and leave that hard work stuff for them!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Looks great. I really enjoy the almost-burnt cheese on the top of a lasagna. It's like umami bubble gum.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio