Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Texas Brisket Cook

Options
DavidL
DavidL Posts: 41
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
It's been awhile since I've done a brisket. Needed something to send with my son to Red River, NM for the annual vacation he spends with my sister-in-law's family. Every year I cook something for them to take and enjoy as part of their vacation. Last year I sent some pork butt for pulled pork sandwiches. This year I opted for a 14.5 lb. brisket. I trimmed and rubbed it, then sat it overnight in the fridge. Put it on the egg yesterday morning a little before 10:00, fat side down, with some nice chunks of pecan wood, and pulled the tender slab from the egg 14 hrs. later, around midnight, with an internal temp of 194*. Cooked it indirect with a water pan at a dome temp of 200* for approx. 4-6 hrs., then slowly raised it to 250* where it stayed for the remainder of the cook. Wrapped it in foil and towels and placed it a plastic cooler where it remained until 6:30 this morning (approx. 6 hrs.). Unwrapped it, cut some slabs of the flat and point for my wife and I to feast on, and then iced-down the rest of it in a cooler and sent it out the door with them this morning. It came out perfect; juicy and tender with a nice smokey flavor, some wonderfully-flavorful bark, and a beautiful smoke ring. It may be my best brisket to date, and I've cooked quite a few of them. Here are the pics:

Comments