Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To Foil or Not Foil that is the question

Tak
Tak Posts: 145
Hi everyone...wanted to get some thoughts on foil or not to foil ribs...I did some St Louis style today...I did 2hr on the grill at 250...2 hrs in foil and 30 mins non foil....they are tender but maybe too tender if that is possible...I was wondering does everyone foil....although I love them tender I don't like them too tender....let me know how you do it...thanks!!

Comments

• rhodges
    rhodges Posts: 17
    I dont like 'em foiled but the wife does, i think they are too tender/mushy. I'm sure you can guess which way they get cooked around our house
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170

No foil here as I like the "tug" of the meat leaving the bone.  But as with anything, cook them the way you and your family and guests like.  Foil will get you the fall-off-the-bone resuult that many enjoy.  You can always foil one rack and not the other.

Here's an eggcellent rib read-check out the pork section:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Its a matter of choice, some like it some don't. I only foil for an hour, SWMBO likes them that way. I like them either way. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335

I use one of these pans myself, put some apple juice in the bottom, ribs on the rack, and just foil loosely over the top of it for maybe 1.5 hours after smoking.  They still get tender but still have some consistency. 

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?sku=14910999&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CLm32YmanrgCFa87MgodNgYAcA

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Foiling speeds rib cooking along, if you don't count the time it takes to foil, unfoil, and collect the drippings. For ribs, the time saved is minor, compared to a big hunk of butt. It is worthwhile to help soak the partially cooked meat in a sweet liquid. Otherwise, just let them cook. No spritzing, very few peeks. The meat will come out tender, with a slightly crisp outside.

Matters of taste & texture are a personal preference. Not something to contest. But, please, please, don't get used to pressed rib patties.
  • Tak
    Tak Posts: 145
    Thanks guys!...thats the type of input I was looking for....I like them tender but fall off the bone...like some pull....I will try the next batch with foil and spray them to keep from drying out...
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I foiled some baby backs yesterday. First time I ever used foil on ribs. Only did because of time. I cooked them for 1 hour no foil, an hour to 1.5 with foil but not 100% sealed, then an hour or so sauces. Cooked around 300 grid. Great pull back on bones, very tender but not fall off the bone, barely took a bite. Consistency was spot on with what we like.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • doncarl
    doncarl Posts: 23

A buddy and I did ribs on two different BGE's...same ribs from Costco....same rub overnight (Dizzy Dust).....same sauce (Tennessee Hollerin)....he foiled(3/1/15min)in apple...I did indirect for 31/2 hours.....we took all of the ribs, sauced them on direct for 15 minutes.....

Had nine adults eating....no one could tell no difference.we concluded that foiling just added work and very little else.

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Tak said:
    I like them tender but fall off the bone...like some pull....I will try the next batch with foil and spray them to keep from drying out...
    Great thing about the egg is it easy to cook BBQ w/o foil.  If the ribs are drying out, try working on improved control of temperature and timing. I never foil or spray ribs and normally make one rack dry rub only (i.e. no sauce).  The dry rub ribs come out great on the Egg.  I can get them fall off the bone done too if that is your goal, although I try to cook them a tad less for my personal preference.

Lots of people foil and like the food they create so go for it. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I never foil my ribs.
    Smoked two slabs of babybacks today. These were the best ribs I've made to date.  Finally found a bbq sauce that is exactly what I've been looking for.  Blues Hog Smokey Mountain Sauce. I dusted them with Bad Byrons then sauced them twice while smoking.  Perfect combo for my taste.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    I think foiling for (2) hours is the issue. I realize the method says 2-2-1 but it leads to "too tender". I have 2 racks of spares on right now. I will only foil for an hour then bend test. Sometimes I'll do another 30 minutes but never (2) hours. Then sauce for 15-30 minutes.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    No foil for me.  Like the texture and bark so much better.  I rarely ever sauce my ribs, mostly just for guests.  With no sauce you can tell more of a difference than if you text.