Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Elder Ward Lump method

Options
Fireball
Fireball Posts: 354
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok! What is Elder Ward's method of putting lump into a jigsaw pattern for low & slow cooking. I searched the Archives and could not find it. You can post it here, E-mail me, or tell me how to find it in the Archives. Fireball says thank you.

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Fireball,[p]Her it is.[p]Spin

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Spin,[p]Oops! Try this one.

[ul][li]Fire building[/ul]
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Fireball,
    As TimM says it is a "CRUEL JOKE". Don't get duped.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Fireball, check ou the link and scroll doun to Part #1[p]BTW: I have had great luck, as I posted before, by the (I think JJ calls it) 'dump and go' method - from 1000 degree temps to 20 hour PP cooks - and I only have a medium BGE... imagine the results is a large.

• JJ
    Options
    Gfw,
    Actually that is C~W's definition. "Dump and Go" I just agreed with me good buddy.

• Gfw
    Options
    After the post above post and 20 typos, and yes I forgot the link but Spin didn't, I think it's time to start dinner - fortunately I'm not driving tonight. [p]Tonight it’s gourmet hamburgers and Italian sausages to be accompanied by potato salad, cole slaw and baked beans.[p][p]
  • Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    Fireball,
    Thank you once again

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Fireball, Elder is a precision match lighter..and his method entails sorting out in two or three piles all of your lump. Largest in one pile, medium size in another, and small in another. Then he sets all the large that he thinks is needed in the bottom, and then medium on top of that, and then the smaller pieces on the very top. His thinking, and perhaps correct on high temp burns is the oxygen flow is better, and less likely hood of plugged holes in the grate.
    I guess it works fine but with diamond mesh screen on the bottom I have very little problem with any plugs and good venting to the coals regardless of size. I assume (as I have never used em) that floor drains (I have one) and trivets (I don't have) give nearly the same advantage.
    More holes..more air..less plugs.
    Now its your turn to experiment and see what works for you!
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Gfw
    Options
    03_26_0018_24_03.jpg
    <p />C~W, thanks to you (as I recall it was your idea), my floor drain works about perfect - it went in my medium BGE on 03/26/2000 and hasen't been out since. Done low/slow and hot/fast each with great results.

[ul][li]My Floor Drain[/ul]
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    JJ,[p]I use a variant of this method. In my Small, since I am overly cautious and since the ash tool doesn't easily fit, I put a bag around my hand and scoop out the old coals and put them aside. Next, I take out the ash and replace the grate and light a cube underneath the grate. Next, I take my bag of new lump and dump til my heart's content. I then dump the leftovers on top and crack a beer and wait 10-15 minutes. By then, I'm up to over 300 and ready to grill![p]Cornfed
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Gfw, Wowser..what a snap shot...Almost like out of this world.
    Well, Old George Nightingale over in Colorado started it with a trivet..and I found the floordrain nearly identical. So it went from there. Just another clinker from the past..:-)
    C~W

• Anthony Up North
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]I know about trivets. But what is a diamond mesh screen? How do you use it? Do you put it above the ceramic grate or what? Would appreciate your help.[p]Cheers.[p]Anthony

• JJ
    Options
    Anthony Up North,
    It is a 22 ga screen with the openings diamond shape. It can be purchased at just about any hardware store. I bought mine at Ace Hardware. It came in a 2'x3' sheet. They recommend using it for a cooking grid as well as other uses. I used the ash grate to draw a pattern and cut it out with my jig saw. It is used in place of the cerammic ash grate.

• JJ
    Options
    Cornfed,
    I see by your post you really screwed up with your method of readying your small for a cook. But you being young there is still hope for you. I am going to help you just this once and if you fall back into that terrible habit I will help no more.[p]Crack that beer FIRST and do NOT wait until you light the EGG. [p]Kids try to raise them right and see what happens. hehe

• Unknown
    Options
    JJ, :-) That was good!! Take that CornFed!!

• Char-Woody
    Options
    JJ, thank's, I was off to some fireworks display..just got back and your correct as usual..Mine are diamond shaped 1/4 x 3/4 approximate mesh size..Comes in all sizes and guages.
    Burned mine going on two years now..same mesh.
    Cheerio..C~W[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    grate6.jpg
    <p />Anthony Up North,
    Picture says a thousand words. The screen like stuff is the diamond mesh.[p]Tim

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Tim M, I like the three bolts for the temporary offset idea. Good thinking. The donut is a experimental grate for those that want to know..
    Cheers and thanks for the photo..
    C~W

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    JJ,[p]That's some sound advice. All this time my priorities have been screwed up![p]Cornfed - who had a few too many yesterday and payed for it today!