Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A slight, small act of treason?

Been wanting a smaller unit for quickies and such. Been by my dealer 3 times to see a Mini, and he swears he's gonna call when he gets one, and he never has. Last time we were there, he said he had one, and hasnt unboxed it yet. 2 weeks ago now....

Came upon this US made, Lodge Sportsmans grill (hibachi) for not too much change ($63.67 to my door), and decided it might be JUST the ticket for burgers, and quickies for just the Missus and I. Plan to break it in tomorrow.

It seems well made (Lodge stuff is) and includes a draft control and 2 height grill surface. 

Anyone have any experience with this?  
When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    It's a nice little grill. Relatively indestructible, great for burgers, kababs and anything that needs a hot sear . Just cant smoke lo n slo on it, but for the price, you cant complain much.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Nice buy but a mini will replace it sooner than later.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I was considering one of those, but went with a Smokey Joe. Awesome little cooker. Large enough to do indirects plus it has a dome. Weighs nothing. Considerably larger grid than a mini too.

Was looking for something to replace my too heavy too small mini. Found it in the Joe. For $30 instead of the ridiculous $400+ they want for a mini these days. As soon as I get my warranty replacement firebox, the mini will be on CL.

Enjoy the Lodge. It is very similar to the hibachi I started out with in the 70s. Nice cooker.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    I have the 410 Lodge, comes pre seasoned. I like it a lot. Just use they chimney starter and great for quick cooks. Will also use it to sear things like Tritip so I can transfer to the egg immediately to finish, without changing temps.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    My first grill was a Hibachi, great little grill. If all you want to do is grill, might work out.

I did a tabletop Korean bbq with mine once with friends over. Quite fun.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • nealcr1
    nealcr1 Posts: 198
    I have one and love it. Bought it last month. I will use it mainly for kabobs. Enjoy.
    Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup
  • Have had one for years it is at the mountain house. Have done ribs on it, but not the best for the job. Great for steaks, but I have to try and relearn how to cook non-BGE style.
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    It's ok to venture out of the egg world sometimes. I have a gasser at home I use sometimes and a gasser on the boat.
    Cookin in Texas
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Yup, burgers and s'mores is basically what we'll use it for. So now I have my BGE, gassser, and the hibachi.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    My brother welded an extra support on his Weber Performer to hold one of these.  It is pretty cool.  He loves the hibachi, uses it all the time.  It makes a mean steak.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    treason my ass that thing is awesome.  Every toy you add to your arsenal only enhances your capabilities & enjoyment factor.  Don't look down on it (or any other cooker) as something you settled for, rather push it to the wall & you'll be surprised just how much more it can do than you likely currently believe
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Kesims22
    Kesims22 Posts: 8
    Replaced my gas camping grill with the Lodge, I use it all the time camping and love it.
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Will you use lump or briquettes with it?  Let us know how it turns out.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Cast Hibachi, from Lodge - great looking cooker. If anything like my cast "China" Hibachi you have to use briquettes, lump needs the airflow control, which these guys just don't have. 
    Enjoy the new arrow in your cooking quiver....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Gogogordy
    I will use lump and it does have a draft control (slider) on the front. Burgers and S'mores for 2 tonight...."film at 11"
  • Gogogordy
    OK, inaugural burn/cook is done.  Made some delish burgers, and zucchini. Here are my observations:

No stinky odors or chemicals upon initial burn for this entire unit is seasoned with veg. oil from the factory, not paint or some petroleum product.  

The draft door is nice, can slow things down but not with the control of the BGE. But for grilling up some burgers etc...perfect.

Requires minimal amount of lump to get smoking hot fast...the tilt-down door makes replenishment on the fly easy.  Dont over-fill cause there's no shutting it down and saving for next time. A little goes a long way.

The pre-seasoned grill is not to be believed....non-stick to the Nth degree right from the box.  My burgers didnt even tear when I flipped them.

When burger-time was over and S'mores time was near, my BGE grill-lifter works perfectly on the Lodge grill. Cross compatible accessories. Winning!

2 hours later, it's cool to the touch making this a viable, portable cooker for the beach, etc.

Final verdict: No regrets! It's not the same as a BGE, and thats exactly as I'd hoped it would be. As another poster said "another tool in the quiver" and a fine one too. Especially at the price of just a couple bags of lump!  And seems well made enough to last a long time, just like our Eggs are, and I like that a lot.

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    My dad picked one up at a garage sale for 5 bucks and he loves it  He also has an egg but when cooking for 2 it works great for burgers , chops n such
    only difference is his seems to have like 5 or 6 adjustable heights
    Ive been looking for one for myself too
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    I too have committed treason, Amazon had them on sale for $59. I need something for camping and would like something easier to start when doing burgers and dogs (since I got rid of the gasser).
  • Gogogordy
    Perfect. It is what it is (and isn't). That is super portable, wood-fired, durable, and great for quick, tasty cooks for less than an army. 

Isn't? An Egg, a smoker, or $400.

havent replaced my BGE with it, but man for 60 bucks its a great addition to the BBQ collection...no regrets for me and hopefully for you either. Enjoy.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Picked one up just last weekend. At the Outlets in Lancaster, PA and saw the Lodge Hibachi. Have been looking at the Mini Egg for a while and haven't pulled the trigger yet due to cost. This will do what I need until I get the Mini. Quick sear, burgers or dogs while doing a low and slow, reverse sear. Great addition, and now the gasser goes out at the yard sale for sure.
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Argh...I was in a store today that had all Lodge CI stuff 25% off and saw one of these little grills, but didn't pay attention...I was too preoccupied with the deals I was getting on a couple of big pans and a lid.  I don't even know what the grill was priced.

The pans I picked up were priced right around Amazon pricing (before the 25% sale/discount)...so if I could pick one of these up for $45 + tax, is it worth it?
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Very cool. I've looked at those in the past, but have never pulled the trigger. Someday, I'll probably get one just to shake thiings up a bit.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Gogogordy
    njl-$45 is a steal and YES its worth it.
  • Ima get one! At least I will when I quit spending $50 - $100 each month on eggcessories.