Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two Questions (and one provisional) on Stuffed Jalapenos

Options
I'm going to attempt stuffed jalapenos for the first time.  I will be using what is left of the brisket I smoked Thursday, combining it with habanero jack cheese and some sauce.  I'm also considering adding some jalapeno bacon to the fray.

Here is where I could use some advice:
1.  I am cooking them in a pepper rack.  Should I go direct or indirect?
2.  What temp would you recommend?
3.  If I use bacon, should I pre-cook it or just cut it up and put it into the mix?
Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

Comments

• DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    1. I prefer indirect myself 300 - 350 in or out of a rack.
    2. See the above.
    3. It sounds like you are going to add the bacon to the filling, if this is the case then personally I would cook the bacon first. In making ABTs I wrap the bacon around the pepper and use toothpicks to secure it to the pepper, then lay the peppers out on the grid. This allows the bacon to get crispy.

Remember that when you roast the peppers the longer you go the milder the pepper will become. Hopes this helps a bit.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    Options
    Thanks, @DMurf.  Great input.  You are correct, I'm was considering the bacon as part of the stuffing, but I might just go for the wrap.

• DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    If you do a search for ABT (Atomic Buffalo Turds) you will get lots of ideas. Some people make boats by slicing the pepper in half and some leave them whole. The great thing is that I have never made them wrong.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    edited July 2013
    Options
    ABT's-I slice the jala in half and remove veins and seeds, within reason.  Then stuff with a hot sausage (precooked) and habanero cheese mix.  Wrap in bacon (not pre-cooked) and go high-raised direct (around 350*F on the dome and about 3" above the gasket line) til the bacon is finished.   Inhale on day one and exhale on day two :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    Options
    Thanks for the input @DMurf and @lousubcap.  The offering turned out quite well.

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options

Wear gloves during the preparation.

Gittin' there...