Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cherry smoked andouille sausage

Picked up about 15 pounds of pig leg and belly.  Thought I'd make some andouille.

Cut up half the pork in 1/4" chunks.  The other half I ground course.  This will result in a sausage with large chunks of un-ground meat and fat. 

Mixed it all up with cure #1 and lots of spices.  Added a couple cups of sweet vermouth rather than water for a little sweet to balance out the 2 heaping table spoons of cayenne pepper.   Powdered milk was added as a binder.

Let it meld overnight then stuffed it into hog casings.  Let that develop a pellicle overnight, then threw it all in a smoker and I'm currently cold smoking for around 5-6 hours with cherry and rosemary.  Just a hint of rosemary - I had a bunch from when my neighbor trimmed his rosemary bush. 

The end product will be split into several groups - freezing one.  Dry aging another in fridge, and I'll take a couple of links and hang them up at room temp to see what happens.  

This is cured - I would not recommend anyone cold smoke raw pork without curing.

I'll post a final picture after I pull of the smoker this evening.

Thanks for looking.
imageimageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• That rig is awesome. Too much.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    No vampire sausage?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Nice looking rope, I like your set up.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Extremely impressive!! =D>

XLBGE 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @CT -  Thanks man.  I'm not running the AC.  I just don't want to cook the pork.

@henapple - Nope on the vampire, although I made 6 jars of pickled golden spicy beets yesterday. 
    You're a renaissance man...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    That set up is awesome. Can it brew some 'shine? Sorry, I get these ideas :)

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    One question- is that your hello kitty thermopen? By the way the sausage looks awesome
    Greensboro, NC
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I had that same kitchen aid. I hated the bowl lift so I traded it in and got the Breville mixer. Much better. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Looks great. Hard to find good andouille sausage here. 

Impressive cold smoke set-up too.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Awesome. Can't wait for the final pic.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • nolaegghead
    Wolfpack said:
    One question- is that your hello kitty thermopen? By the way the sausage looks awesome
    Yep, the one and only....

I had that same kitchen aid. I hated the bowl lift so I traded it in and got the Breville mixer. Much better. 
    I upgraded from the screw-in bowl KA mixer.  It doesn't bother me, but I only really use it to make dough, grind meat and roll pasta.
    You know we want details on the home brewed gizmo. Sounds you've been busy this weekend.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Wolfpack
    @nolaegghead my oldest daughter was looking at these pics with me and wants one now... She loves it- might get her one if she will grill with me :)
    Greensboro, NC
  • nolaegghead
    I'll post some pics of the construction. 

I just took a link off and cooked it.  Came out great!  Little smokey, takes a couple days for the smoke to mellow, but it's a good flavor.  HOT spice.  Creeps up on ya.  Flavor and texture are very good.  We use andouille mostly as an ingredient, but I'll have to cook up some of this for dawgs.

It really should be dry aged, but it's fine just cooked. 

Here's a raw (post smoke) and cooked picture.

imageimage
    Smoker construction pictures.

Wow.  Very cool construction pics.  @nola has all the cool toys--even a Hello Kitty thermapen!  Say what?!?
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Wolfpack
    Really cool- wish I was handy. I like the chunks in the sausage
    Greensboro, NC
  • nolaegghead
    Thanks y'all! 

I pulled everything out of the smoker and rinsed all the sausage off, separated the links, put them back on the drying racks and into the refrigerator for a week.  Hopefully I'll lose a few percent of moisture, let the cure do it's job and we should get some color and flavor development. 
    I'm off tomorrow.. Where are you going to meet me with some of that?  :D
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • nolaegghead
    I'm off tomorrow.. Where are you going to meet me with some of that?  :D
    Where yat @bccomstock?

This just goes to prove that life is all about how we create that which sustains us. I love your ambition. My wife says that my smoking endeavers resemble science experiments or maybe hillbilly smoke havens. But the funny thing is nothing is ever left over. Or at least not for long. One of my faverites is doing a couple pork shoulders while using the left over smoke to do cheese at the same time. Love what your doing.

• Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    AWESOME!

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • nolaegghead
    Thanks @vtsmoker

In all honesty, takes a lot of infrastructure to do stuff like this.  And a lot of reading and research.  But it's a perfect match for me - I love challenges and I love making stuff.  So it's a labor of love.  It's easier to go out and buy your own charcuterie, but you can make your own, and if you practice, it'll be better (or at least to you because you can fine-tune to your tastes) than what you can reasonably buy (without searching the world over). 

Plus, you can be creative.  I've made some franken foods.  It's all in good fun, and what better reward than sharing your creations with family and friends.  I give away half of what I make (stuff like this)....and I use the feedback to learn what I can do better (or stay away from!).

Next up, I'm thinking about a curing chamber.  Temp and humidity controlled box to cure.  Thinking it's a fun project (PID controller, ultrasonic humidifier, filters, air movement, etc.).  Right up my alley.  Just need more space!
    Parallel said:
    AWESOME!
    @Parallel -  I'd love you give you some to try out (being in the world capitol of andouille)...let me know if you're interested.  I work in St. Rose, so I'm close to LaPlace in the day. 
    Thanks for sharing details of the smoker build. Very impressive.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    Some details:  

The smoker is made from a frame of MDF.  It's fastened together with glue and pre-drilled screws.  The back is the stainless steeel front to out old dishwasher.  The front door is 1/2" plexi.  Almost all hardware is stainless steel, some exceptions.  The rack inside is cypress with holes drilled for dowels, so I can adjust the configuration any way I want.  The grates are just steel grates.  There's a metal plate the distributes the smoke - 1/8" thick steel or maybe I used stainless, don't remember.

AC - 5000 btu.  cycles a lot, so you need a heat load, which is a problem because the dryer vent wicks off most of the heat.  I only need the AC for fish or cheese.  An insulated vent tube would solve the cycling problem.

Humidity - this is a high humidity cold smoker - it isn't good for dehydrating stuff like jerky.  Problem is, the effluent from the egg is moist from water from combustion.  It cools, and has a high dewpoint.  The AC doesn't help because if there's no heat load.

The top vent is variable.  Always just leave it full open.  Probably a waste of construction effort.

Everything has a gasket - there are a few little leaks, but it works to get smoke into the food.

There's a plexi drip pan on the bottom - made it from 1/2" plexi.  It has foil on it to protect from juice.

In theory - it's something you could make sans AC with a cardboard box.  This one is a little fancy, but it was fun to make.
    edited July 2013
    And the box is painted with a few coats of spar varnish - inside and out, to protect from moisture and sun.

Ordered the latches from Amazon.  Welded them on to some bar stock and painted - works pretty well to seal the front door gasket.

Everything except about $150 worth of parts (including the AC) is recycled - had lying around the shop.  So it was a mostly labor project - I put more than a few hours into construction.

It's on the back deck...every time I walk by it I get a whiff of smoke.  Nice reminder to smoke something new.