Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stlcharcoal review.. Yes, another

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
Got to meet Jonathan this week and picked up 60 bags for @dlk7. He gave me a few bags and I've cooked on it all weekend. Naturally I will compare it to Ozark which is all I use.

Starts easy. Maybe a little quicker than OO.

Sparks a little more buy unless you're wearing gasoline underwear you'll be ok.

I'm a dump and go guy. The first fill was full of really small pieces but as I got into the bag they leveled off. Might put the next bag in a bin and pull.

Burnt extremely well and even. Locked in on a temp and held.

Being 3 different types of wood I would use one type of smoking chunks.

Good flavor, not over bearing.

The price is comparable with Ozark Oak from the factory.

If i was rolling through St Louis I'd stop in and stock up. Definitely good lump.

Props to Jonathan for donating a pallet to Operation Bbq Relief.

Rockwood lump.. You'll be happy with it.

PS.. Thanks for the beer.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    @henapple -thanks for the review-pretty consistent with boatbum's of a few days ago.  Of course the challenge is getting it as you note.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

Glad you liked it.  Sounds like you got a bad bag if it was mostly little pieces.  Sorry......but, it happens.  :(

You're welcome on the Kraftig Lager.  That's a local brewing company that one of the Busch family members started after InBev's hostile takeover of Anheuser-Busch several years ago.  Figured I'd send you home with some local beer to go with the local charcoal.

BTW, I hope to send more charcoal out to those guys at OBR, just need someone to carry the load.  I would rather send several hundred dollars more worth of charcoal, than pay those hundreds for the freight.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    The lump is great.. Luckily @dlk7 spotted me a few. Will use it till I'm out.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN