Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Broke my foot off in one.......

2»

Comments

• RV10Flyer
    RV10Flyer Posts: 140
    Looks awesome.  I've got a 16 lb brisket on right now.  I paid $1.49 a pound at Kroger; I'm sure it is choice but what the hell.  I'm way too far into a bottle of Crown Royal Reserve to worry at this point.  Damn it sure does smell good...sitting on the porch right now taking in the Reserve and great aroma.  Life is good.

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Cen-Tex, give us the cook detail one more time, please. That piece looks so moist and good. I've got to master this.
    Excel Choice Brisket- nothing fancy ($1.49 per lb).

Trim all hard fat off and trim any thick pieces of the fat cap down to 1/8 inch or so
    rub all over with Bad byrons
    Get really drunk while the fire is getting going
    Throw on 5-6 decent sized oak chunks
    Throw brisket on in a fog and eyeball the draft door/daisy settings to approximate 250 degrees
    Pass out
    when done, FTC for an hour or 8

Now for the slice:

Find where the point and flat meet and cut the flat off right there.
    Turn point 90 degress and cut it right down the middle.
    Start slicing the point from the fat end (where you cut it off) down toward the skinny end. That way everyone gets the best bites first
    cut the point from the center cut of each half out toward the ends.

This is really not that hard of a cook but it does take a few to get the hang of it.Once you do, they just get better and better.

Thanks!  I've been forgetting the beer.  No wonder...
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Cen-Tex, give us the cook detail one more time, please. That piece looks so moist and good. I've got to master this.

Trim all hard fat off and trim any thick pieces of the fat cap down to 1/8 inch or so
    Throw brisket on in a fog and eyeball the draft door/daisy settings to approximate 250 degrees
    Pass out

Now for the slice:

Start slicing the point from the fat end (where you cut it off) down toward the skinny end. That way everyone gets the best bites first

This is really not that hard of a cook but it does take a few to get the hang of it.Once you do, they just get better and better.

Thanks!  I've been forgetting the beer.  No wonder...

There was no beer. I'm a vodka man.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    lol....ok...I will and send you pics all the way through. I will follow your advice exclusively and wil more than likely enjoy the benefits!
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @Cen_Tex Great cook-quite the way to enjoy the weekend!  And for the encore? 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I almost picked up a brisket last night, but in a family of 4, including a 2 and 4 year old, I am the primary meat eater. I found a 12lber, but I need a special occasion for it.
  • that looks as tasty as can be
  • lousubcap said:
    @Cen_Tex Great cook-quite the way to enjoy the weekend!  And for the encore? 
    encore will involve sitting in the pool sippin on something listening to some tunes. My cooking is done for the weekend (unless I am told otherwise)

• that looks as tasty as can be
    Thank you sir. It was. One of my better efforts for sure.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Better than Salado?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple said:
    Better than Salado?
    yes
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Damn...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Cen-Tex, a couple questions for tbe brisket master. ^:)^

How long do you stabilize your egg?

When do you add your chunks to the fire?

Not too long. Like I said above, it wasn't stable when I "went to bed". It was at like 196 and climbing. Eyeballing my settings I knew it would lock in somewhere around 250 (it did at 248). I had my chunks on maybe 15-20 minutes before the brisket. It had started to mellow by the time I had the brisket on and was totally clear blue when I went out in the am.

I'm probably and example of "how not to do it" than the other way around.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    RV10Flyer said:
    Looks awesome.  I've got a 16 lb brisket on right now.  I paid $1.49 a pound at Kroger; I'm sure it is choice but what the hell.  I'm way too far into a bottle of Crown Royal Reserve to worry at this point.  Damn it sure does smell good...sitting on the porch right now taking in the Reserve and great aroma.  Life is good.
    Grasshopper has stolen the stone from masters hand. You have unlocked the secret. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.

Not too long. Like I said above, it wasn't stable when I "went to bed". It was at like 196 and climbing. Eyeballing my settings I knew it would lock in somewhere around 250 (it did at 248). I had my chunks on maybe 15-20 minutes before the brisket. It had started to mellow by the time I had the brisket on and was totally clear blue when I went out in the am.

Thanks! I'm a noob to all this, what settings do you use for 250? Are you talking 250 from you BGE thermo?
  • Cen-Tex, a couple questions for tbe brisket master. ^:)^ How long do you stabilize your egg? When do you add your chunks to the fire?
    Not too long. Like I said above, it wasn't stable when I "went to bed". It was at like 196 and climbing. Eyeballing my settings I knew it would lock in somewhere around 250 (it did at 248). I had my chunks on maybe 15-20 minutes before the brisket. It had started to mellow by the time I had the brisket on and was totally clear blue when I went out in the am. I'm probably and example of "how not to do it" than the other way around.
    Thanks! I'm a noob to all this, what settings do you use for 250? Are you talking 250 from you BGE thermo?
    you should definitely pay more attn that I do. I used a maverick on this cook and it was 248 on that. I was cooking a little higher up on my adjustable rig so it was very similar to the dome temp but I didn't even look at that.

250 for me is draft door open half inch or so and the daisy tweaked down with only slivers showing. It's really all by feel so you are going to have to play with it a little to get the hang of it. Once you do, it will become 2nd nature. I told my neighbor who just got one last week to load his up with lump (no food) and just play with it for a Saturday. Set it somewhere and don't look at it for 2 hours and see what happens. Then tweak it a little up or down and see what that does after an hour or 2. mess with the door then mess with the daisy. Then mess with both. A full load of lump is like $2 so it's a great way to learn for next to no cost. Screw up one steak and you're out $20.

You'll get it. Just takes a little while.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    It was that good and you didn't even braise it?  Nice work!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim said:
    It was that good and you didn't even braise it?  Nice work!!!
    Just lucky I guess
  • Cen-Tex, give us the cook detail one more time, please. That piece looks so moist and good. I've got to master this.

Pass out

Now for the slice:

Start slicing the point from the fat end (where you cut it off) down toward the skinny end. 

That is obviously a typo. Start slicing the FLAT (not point) from the fat end toward the skinny

you should definitely pay more attn that I do. I used a maverick on this cook and it was 248 on that. I was cooking a little higher up on my adjustable rig so it was very similar to the dome temp but I didn't even look at that.

250 for me is draft door open half inch or so and the daisy tweaked down with only slivers showing. It's really all by feel so you are going to have to play with it a little to get the hang of it. Once you do, it will become 2nd nature. I told my neighbor who just got one last week to load his up with lump (no food) and just play with it for a Saturday. Set it somewhere and don't look at it for 2 hours and see what happens. Then tweak it a little up or down and see what that does after an hour or 2. mess with the door then mess with the daisy. Then mess with both. A full load of lump is like $2 so it's a great way to learn for next to no cost. Screw up one steak and you're out $20.

You'll get it. Just takes a little while.

Thanks for the help! I'll give it a try!
  • I suppose you're cutting the point off AFTER the cook?  I've got a 14.5# to cook today or tomorrow and am now all angst-y about what to do....  And, yup, it's the first brisket on the Egg for me.  (I'm also not sure about wrapping the beast in towels, but, I'll put my faith in those who've gone before...)  Oak chunks are ready!!!
  • I suppose you're cutting the point off AFTER the cook?  I've got a 14.5# to cook today or tomorrow and am now all angst-y about what to do....  And, yup, it's the first brisket on the Egg for me.  (I'm also not sure about wrapping the beast in towels, but, I'll put my faith in those who've gone before...)  Oak chunks are ready!!!

I always cook them whole. I never separate the point and flat when cooking. I don't do burnt ends.
  • Thanks.  It makes much more sense once'st the thing is laid out on the table.  Here goes.....(always trust your cape!)