Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Chicken Recipe

Options
jlsm
jlsm Posts: 1,011
I want to start cooking more chicken, but my husband isn't a huge fan and needs more than a simple rub to be enticed. So far, this jerk chicken from the NYT several years ago has been my best attempt (ignore the grilling instructions; I do 350 indirect). The sauce takes a while to pull together, but the recipe makes enough for two chickens or eight legs and thighs and keeps well in the fridge. (Make sure your allspice is fresh.)

What is your favorite recipe that involves more than just a rub? 

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia

Comments

• WalrusBBQ
    WalrusBBQ Posts: 153
    Options
    Spatchcock, wash, dry, healthy dose of dizzy pig swamp venom, raised grid 350-400 until 160 in breast 180 in thighs.

The swamp venom has some good kick to it but my wife and I love it. 

------------
    Beers & BBQ

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited July 2013
    Options

Ingredients<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• 2 chickens (or 4 whole bone-in chicken breasts) halved lengthwise
    • 1 1/2 cups Italian dressing, recipe follows
    • 1/4 cup of your favorite chicken rub
    • 1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce

Directions

Rinse chicken halves in cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Place chicken in a large bowl or baking dish, coat with Italian dressing and evenly season. For best results, allow the chicken to marinate in the refrigerator overnight.

Thirty minutes before you're ready to cook, take the chicken out of the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature. Preheat the grill to about 350-400 degrees F., raised direct

Place the chicken halves on grill, meat side down. Cover grill and cook for about 45 minutes. Flip chicken over and let it brown until the chicken becomes golden, about 10 minutes. Brush the chicken with barbecue sauce during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Cook to temp. of 180 in the thighs and 165 in the breast. The times are rough guide lines.

Italian Dressing:

• 2 tablespoons ground mustard
    • 2 garlic cloves, smashed
    • 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
    • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    • 1 tablespoon sugar
    • 2 tablespoons of your favorite rub
    • 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
    • 1 cup canola oil
    • Salt and pepper

Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, except the oil and salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Yield: 1 1/2 cups

Adapted from the Neelys on Food Network

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Stuffed boneless chicken thighs...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    This one is outstanding from AZRP. "The Chicken" That is it on my AR in my avatar. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/421267/the-chicken
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC