Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Too much drinking.. So I'm gonna say it

2»

Comments

• henapple said:
    @Botch in no way chastising anyone. @spaightlabs. I have no doubt that members give to other causes. @nolaegghead... Couldn't agree more. I know OBR will be thrilled with whatever gift we donate. @fredflinstone.. See @nolaegghead comments Just merely thinking out loud.

I just thought I would let you know about my charitable giving.  I give 10% to my church (tithe).  We belong to a missionary Baptist church that practices "faith promise giving".  That means I designate money over and above the previously mentioned 10% to the missionaries our church supports.  Further, my first wife who's the mother of my teenaged daughter died from ovarian cancer so we like to contribute there.  Lastly, we contribute to Alzheimer's research in memory of my Dad.

I am a lowly government worker type who doesn't earn a big salary.  My wife up until about a week ago was a custodian at one of the high schools here until she lost her job.  She would be the first one to say I spend way too much freaking money on egg stuff and I agree with her, but it's an extravagance we both enjoy.  I like to cook and she likes to let me.  

I'm not sure why I said all that, but I guess I was irritated that folks who didn't give a lot to OBR are implied tight wads or that those that tithe to our church are implied morons.

Flint, Michigan
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    YouEnjoyMyEgg Posts: 168
    edited July 2013
    Am I supposed to know what "OBR" is?

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Yep.  It's off topic.
    @henapple thanks for reminding me about this organization. I will probably donate shortly.  I generally check out all charities on various web sites to see how well my donations are being spent.  I searched and don't find any financial information on OBR.  It says they were founded in 2011, so I would think some of the financial paperwork would have been submitted by now and be available for viewing.

Everything I have heard about OBR sounds good and I'm sure they are doing a great job, but many people are careful about who they give money to and may not be giving since the public info isn't available.  As another poster said, it is amazing how some charities spend very little of what they collect.  I'm sure this isn't true of OBR but it would be nice to see it documented.

Now to go search out the post on how to donate.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • I have given both money and time to certain charities over the years, but am opposed to someone telling me which I should support.
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Am I supposed to know what "OBR" is?

Operation BBQ Relief

The Naked Whiz
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I never questioned who gave or how much. Like Centex said I just merely asked or wondered why an accessory group buy wouldbe bigger than thee OBR.. That's it. Didn't want anyone to feel the need to explain why, who or where they give.

@cazzy set up a helluva raffle package to boost support with the generous gifts of several companies.

Plano, I seldom post pics of cooks unless it's something new or I'm playing with my camera. I realize this is merely a bbq forum but I've gotten to meet and hang out with several folks on here I consider to be friends. I enjoy the ot threads as much as the cooking ones. The great thing about delivering lump is meeting the people and sharing our passion for the egg.

I guess I'm passionate about helping people because there's been times I've needed help.

@fredflinstone.. NT tithing is unbiblical... We need to sit down over a PBR and discuss this. :))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple said:
    I never questioned who gave or how much. Like Centex said I just merely asked or wondered why an accessory group buy wouldbe bigger than thee OBR.. That's it. Didn't want anyone to feel the need to explain why, who or where they give. @cazzy set up a helluva raffle package to boost support with the generous gifts of several companies. Plano, I seldom post pics of cooks unless it's something new or I'm playing with my camera. I realize this is merely a bbq forum but I've gotten to meet and hang out with several folks on here I consider to be friends. I enjoy the ot threads as much as the cooking ones. The great thing about delivering lump is meeting the people and sharing our passion for the egg. I guess I'm passionate about helping people because there's been times I've needed help. @fredflinstone.. NT tithing is unbiblical... We need to sit down over a PBR and discuss this. :))

I still hope I win the Dickies shirts. It's the whole reason I donated in the first place [-O<
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I wear mine to bed... Sexy and I know it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

I've followed the OBR threads and I took the original premise that if each of us skipped one cook on the egg, cleaned out our freezer for a cook, or ate PB & J one day that we could all find $25 (give or take) to give to the OBR, to show the collective good will that this forum has.

If other's took it as a request to divert monies that they earmark for other giving than we saw it differently. 

I don't judge anyone's choice of giving, it's all good... but I missed a planned cook, and I donated the difference. 

I still believe if we look deep in our hearts (and in the backs of our freezers) we'd find we have a free cook just waiting there to support the forum. 

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE