Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Homemade pizza dough. 00 flour. Lots of pics

Here today's attempt at a semi Neapolitan style pizza. Dough was made from the following recipe 500g 00 flour 325g of water (65% hydration) room temp 10g salt 4g instant yeast Added 75% of the flour and everything else mixed for a minute to incorporate Let sit for 25 minutes Mixed in the Kitchen Aid on low for 5 min Added remaining flour and increase speed to 2nd level speed Mixed for 3 minutes Removed to a floured counter Divided in to 275g balls Placed in slighlty oiled zip lock bowlsh Allowed to cold rise in fridge for two days

Pulled the dough at the time I fired the egg 
The dough was still sticky and required some light flour
Formed three shells
Topped and cooked at 575-600 for about 5-8 minutes 

Two where great, the third was too soupy.  Well worth the time to mix and cold rise-age the dough

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Yeah, the dough seems to get better aging in the fridge.  I have a kilo of that same dough in my fridge right now.
    Did you have trouble getting it to brown? I use 00 in my wood oven, and unless it's got a roaring fire at 1000 degrees, I can't get the bottom to brown.
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • Did you notice a difference using the 00?
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    @Desertegghead‌ - Not all 00 flours are created equal. I have tried a few brands and the best is the caputo red or blue bag. The texture of the dough is different and it can (needs) higher temperatures to brown. This is important on the egg because toppings take longer to cook before they are ready.

I am lucky enough to be able to find caputo flours locally here in Ottawa. If you are in US, I think that you can order from amazon.

I didnt think you could use straight OO

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Just got a bag of the Red. I can't wait to give it a try
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    I just got a new red bag (caputo 00 pizza) this weekend in Pittsburgh and made dough last night.  I tried something new and added 1 gram of "janes krazy mixed up salt" with my kosher salt to boost flavor.  Not sure if it will matter at all?  My dough balls are resting in the fridge now & pizza later tonight on the EGG - yes sir!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited July 2014
    FYI:   I always pickup my "00" Flour from an awesome Italian Store in Pittsburgh called PENNSYLVANIA MACARONI COMPANY . . and they ship all over the place.  

I have not done the price comparisons VRS amazon . . but it might be worth checking out because you could bundle the flour with some other specialty pizza making items (or bundle with big bag of Lavazza coffee beans)..  

Here is their website:     www.pennmac.com
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”